BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 8900 Series Discussion - Javelin (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   Horrible battery life, any solutions? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=181264)

velocity92c 03-15-2009 06:31 AM

Horrible battery life, any solutions?

I know the 8900's default OS sucks battery like crazy but I've got the most recent OS. Both my wife and I are experiencing horrible battery life even on days when the phone is RARELY used. I know JiveTalk can be a culprit so I went a day without even signing in and it's still horrible. Literally, no use at all, if I let my phone sit all day, by nighttime it's either yellow or red. If I use it even a little it's red by the end of the night.

I know there are fancy extended life batteries you can buy but I'm curious if they work, or if there's anything else I can do. Since it's happening on 2 different phones, with 2 completely different app lineups, I find it hard to believe it's something we're doing wrong, but I've heard that most people are happy with their battery life, so who knows.

JSanders 03-15-2009 07:03 AM

I would suggest you read this:
Battery Use Tips for your Maximum Battery Life | BlackBerryNews.com

What other apps do you have running in the backgroud?

akosnitzky 03-15-2009 07:39 AM

Wirelessly posted (Its All About the U!)

How is the signal strength in your area?

lhsonic 03-15-2009 09:32 AM

Wirelessly posted

Do you have the latest carrier OS or latest OS found here..
The north american carriers have horrible OS revisions.. Like .96 to .133...
From what I've heard, 133 is nice but the battery enchancements start at 152

hearmeoutx 03-15-2009 10:17 AM

If you are still using the default OS that comes with the phone, I recommend upgrading to .174 Beta. It has improved my battery life remarkably. Also make sure you put your phone into standby when not using it, and if you are one to forget to do that constantly I recommend the application called AutoStandby. Good luck with your phone.

DrMoze 03-15-2009 10:27 AM

Also, setting it to turn off at night also helps, if you don't need to be awakened by emails in the wee hours.

Helmdawg 03-15-2009 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hearmeoutx (Post 1320899)
If you are still using the default OS that comes with the phone, I recommend upgrading to .174 Beta. It has improved my battery life remarkably. Also make sure you put your phone into standby when not using it, and if you are one to forget to do that constantly I recommend the application called AutoStandby. Good luck with your phone.

I agree about .174 but never put my phone in standby. I have a boat load of apps including jivetalk and viigo and haven't had any issues with battery life and I am a moderate to heavy user....

TheBigNewt 03-15-2009 12:42 PM

I know I sound like a broken record on battery life, but to the OP: If your phone's sitting all day, not being used, and the battery drains from full to yellow/red by night as you say one thing is for 1000% sure: there's something running/searching on your phone. It cannot (let me repeat CANNOT) be the OS doing that. I can't tell you what it is, look at JSanders' link for that help, but it's a radio running the battery down. You need to look at settings for GPS and apps. Or you could delete apps one at a time and see. Battery life on an 8900 isn't that bad. I last charged mine Thursday night I've turned off Fri/Sat nights, but it's been on during the days, used not so much (mostly read emal and txt), and it's at 50% now. Original OS.

malt1977 03-17-2009 05:14 PM

just tried the 8900, hoping for good things.... battery lasts for 24 hours tops.

after a week i just went back to a Bold.

i've used every Blackberry from the 8700g and the 8900 was by far the worst for bat life, i might still swap back if things improve.

yyhhcc 03-17-2009 07:41 PM

Make sure you have disable the GPS when not in used, this thing really sucks up all the juice...

like.a_phenomenon 03-17-2009 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSanders (Post 1320726)
I would suggest you read this:[/url]

What other apps do you have running in the backgroud?

thanks for this. i'm a new blackberry user, came from the sidekick lx and don't regret it btw :], and this will help me save my battery. :smile:

vinmontRD 03-17-2009 11:10 PM

I generally run BBWeather, JiveTalk, Viigo, Facebook all day, use bluetooth about 2 to 3 hours a day, and UMA most of the day (at work and at home). Anywhere from 10 to 15 calls, dozens of emails, dozens of Facebook updates, weather updated every half hour, Viigo updated every couple of hours...With .174, I'm still at 80% battery at the end of a 16 hour day.

WayneHardy 03-18-2009 07:40 AM

Are you using the OEM holster? as this is the subject of a very long thread on Crackberry forums.

Seems that battery life is extended if you don't use it

jeremyckitching 03-18-2009 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yyhhcc (Post 1323666)
Make sure you have disable the GPS when not in used, this thing really sucks up all the juice...

I would definitely check this, too. I have noticed that when GPS is enabled the battery life goes down much faster. In order to disable mine I go to Options > Advanced Options > GPS and set the GPS Services option to Location Off. I also set the Location Aiding setting to Disabled. I noticed significant battery improvement once I did that, along with the other recommendations of making sure unused programs are closed when not needed. I can get at least 2 days of usage out of my device now before having to recharge.

dankarlinski 03-18-2009 08:02 AM

is there anything in the background?

berrylow 03-18-2009 08:32 AM

with .168 OS my battery life is much better, I use data and blluetooth all day.

flat7 03-18-2009 11:46 PM

You can turn off the WiFi when not using to extend battery life.

fight4yu 03-19-2009 04:55 AM

Hi, vinmontRD.. I have a question. Do you use standby whenever you are not using your BB? Or, you just lock your phone?
I also have 174, and I notice the battery is doing OK, but still not up to "8800" standard. With 8800, I can pretty much do a few days (with GPS, weather, IM, Viigo...) (night time I do auto-off) and it will still have 30-40%... I guess maybe then higher and brighter resolution screen do make a diff (BTW, i turn down my backlight to 70% already).

akc786 03-19-2009 04:59 AM

Just upgrade your Os to .174

I used to have a very bad battery life on my 8900 with OS .114,
but since I upgraded to .174 it's been marvelous.

Before it used to last less than 24 hours and now it goes 2 days +

clintonroche 03-19-2009 08:43 AM

I am on .174 and have great battery life as well!!