BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 9000 Series Discussion - Bold (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   Basic OS Update question (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=186679)

AJCURVE 04-19-2009 09:27 PM

Basic OS Update question

I am in the process of updating my OS from 162 to 247. I have downloaded the file found on the sticky. I have read that you can use DM for the Update instead of using the Loader file provided. I would like to use DM to uncheck the visual voice mail as some users said, so it will not download. So how can I use DM and the OS file downloaded to update my OS?

One more thing, when I was trying to update using the loader my 3rd party apps were Checked does that mean that they will be restored and I will not lose them when I update?

Thanks in advance

JSanders 04-19-2009 10:07 PM

1. Loader will do the same job as DM, but take your pick. If you see Visual Voice Mail listed in the DM process or loader either one, UNcheck it to NOT load.

2. Checked means loading. UNchecked means not to load.

hrbuckley 04-19-2009 10:08 PM

To use the DM you follow the instructions but launch DM instead of the loader. But the DM just starts the launcher so there isn't much point.

If they're checked they will be restored.

AJCURVE 04-19-2009 11:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by JSanders (Post 1358528)
1. Loader will do the same job as DM, but take your pick. If you see Visual Voice Mail listed in the DM process or loader either one, UNcheck it to NOT load.

2. Checked means loading. UNchecked means not to load.

I can not uncheck it it is greyed out when using DM or Loader

JSanders 04-19-2009 11:10 PM

Then you can delete the corresponding cod files from the OS install in the Java folder, same as you would delete other features like Voice Activiated Dialing.

AJCURVE 04-20-2009 09:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Before starting the update I found that DM is not recognizing some Modules that are going to be removed automatically! is this normal
One of them sounds important

also why it doesn't say that it will update or add ENGLISH (US), however it says it will add/update ENGLISH (UK)

JSanders 04-20-2009 09:26 AM

That's not normal to me... I have never seen DM want to remove those specific modules.

English US is default... always there, I do believe.

Someone will correct me if I am wrong. It's always there for me.

MidnightDraven 04-20-2009 10:23 AM

When upgrading to .247 it also told me it will remove the bis_launch.
I had a look at the cod files and found some that were for BIS
i believe they have just changed the names/file that does the job of the bis_launch cod.

AJCURVE 04-20-2009 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midnightdraven (Post 1358919)
When upgrading to .247 it also told me it will remove the bis_launch.
I had a look at the cod files and found some that were for BIS
i believe they have just changed the names/file that does the job of the bis_launch cod.

was your BIS working fine after the update or you had to do some modifications?

Thanks for your help

MidnightDraven 04-20-2009 11:04 AM

No it was fine.
Like i said, I think they've merely changed the way the cod files work, and so the bis_launch file has been changed, so it removes it.