BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General BlackBerry Discussion (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Blackberry Newbie - BBM not working... Help! (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=197722)

couturekid 07-19-2009 02:34 PM

Blackberry Newbie - BBM not working... Help!

Hi,

I'm new to this site and have only had my Blackberry for a couple of days.

One thing i have not been able to get working is BBM.

I've been trying to add my friends "pins" and they are stuck in "pending." The pins i am entering are 100% correct and i have spoken to my friends and they are not getting any alerts.

Also, when my friends try to add me i'm stuck under "pending" too!

Please help! I'm on T-Mobile UK (if that has anything to do with it.)

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated =)

stricni 07-19-2009 02:45 PM

try deleting your service books and then re-regestering your host routing table.

kirrinjones 07-19-2009 03:29 PM

Wirelessly posted

Have to ask, do you have a BlackBerry data plan?

Baller. 07-19-2009 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kirrinjones (Post 1432186)
Wirelessly posted

Have to ask, do you have a BlackBerry data plan?

Haha i came in here to post this. Gotta have a data plan for bbm

couturekid 07-21-2009 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baller. (Post 1432476)
Haha i came in here to post this. Gotta have a data plan for bbm

I'm on T mobile UK and have "free internet." The only option i don't pay for is the e-mail function.

However, i am 99% sure that when the lady was selling me the blackberry on the phone, she said bbm would work regardless of if i was paying for the e-mail option or not.

JSanders 07-21-2009 11:07 AM

If you don't have the BlackBerry Plan, no BBMessenger.

And of course, 'the lady' might have been wrong.

kirrinjones 07-21-2009 11:11 AM

Wirelessly posted

Well, I'm not sure, but I've seen persons with this similar problem, and it was because it was there was no BlackBerry plan.

You could go back and ask her to get it working for you. Now if she can't get it working then you need the BlackBerry plan.

couturekid 07-21-2009 11:39 AM

Thanks for your help!

Just spoken to friends that have bbm working and they told me they receive e-mails on their phone (which i assume is the data plan.)

So i guess i have to purchase that then!

I am kind of pissed off with T-mobile then. I would have gone with a different mobile tariff or something!

Thanks once again!

jsconyers 07-21-2009 11:41 AM

You will need a BlackBerry data plan regardless of which carrier you have.

rambo47 07-21-2009 12:08 PM

Luckily it's easy enough to switch to the correct tariff. A quick call to T-Mobile should have you sorted out.

MidnightDraven 07-21-2009 01:06 PM

the blackberry data plan, isnt exactly a data plan with t-mobile uk

to get email and the service books to make everything else work you need what t-mob call the Blackberry email booster.
you then need the unlimited internet, as everything that is data EXCEPT email, comes out of the unlimited internet plan.

it will cost £5 per month extra.
also when buying a blackberry online at t-mob uk you are required to have the email booster, and im surprised that the people in the shop didnt insist on this.

jake1357 12-27-2009 11:15 AM

I have a curve 8520 and im on T-mobile (UK) PAYG im trying to set up the email account and realized i had to buy an email plan which cost £7.50 so i topped up £10 and text BB1 to 870 but only to receive a reply saying 'sorry your request could not be applied, please try again later' any ideas why?

MidnightDraven 12-27-2009 11:17 AM

Because its not available on PAYG.
only contract (flext/combi) or SIM Only plans.

jake1357 12-27-2009 11:21 AM

arghh so theirs noway of me getting the email sorted out or the BIS?

tsac 12-27-2009 12:06 PM

It amazes me the carriers don't make the requirements clear when people buy a BB

rambo47 12-27-2009 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jake1357 (Post 1535729)
arghh so theirs noway of me getting the email sorted out or the BIS?

Probably not, at least on Pay-Go service. Although some European carriers offer "data plan lite" options that give *some* of the BIS features, usually they're not available on pre-pay plans. Orange UK is the only carrier I know of that does. Your text plan doesn't cover BBM or email. Those are BlackBerry Data Plan only.