BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 9600 Series Discussion - Tour (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   New Tour, Better Build (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=200751)

ffejie 08-12-2009 08:27 PM

New Tour, Better Build

I had one of the really poorly made Tours from the early going. The battery door was really loose, the scroll ball didn't work horizontally after a few days and the battery was about 8 hours if I didn't talk on the phone.

So, I got a new one. The battery door is still a little loose, but not nearly as much as the other. The scroll ball works great.

Overall, the whole bottom part of the unit feels completely different. It is much much firmer. the keyboard is not nearly as mushy, making it easier to type. The Menu and Back buttons are sturdier as well. I would have to say to anyone that is the slightest bit unhappy with their current Tour within the 30 days, replace it! It's worth the hassle as you'll probably get a much better device.

akosnitzky 08-12-2009 08:34 PM

Wirelessly posted (Its All About the U!)

Thank you

I am still eager for another OS build.

jsntrenkler 08-13-2009 08:57 PM

Wirelessly posted

I haven't had any issues with the current OS build.

kurichan 08-13-2009 11:31 PM

I haven't had any issues, but am hoping for speed and battery use optimization that is common with better refined code.

ffejie 08-14-2009 01:20 AM

Has anyone else noticed that the horizontal scroll ball sensitivity is not very good when trying to edit text? It takes forever to get it to scroll across a line of text, unless I turn it up to 100 sensitivity - then it's about the speed I want. However, at 100 on normal screens (selecting icons) it's lightening fast and I can't use it.

rajones19 08-14-2009 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ffejie (Post 1451167)
Has anyone else noticed that the horizontal scroll ball sensitivity is not very good when trying to edit text? It takes forever to get it to scroll across a line of text, unless I turn it up to 100 sensitivity - then it's about the speed I want. However, at 100 on normal screens (selecting icons) it's lightening fast and I can't use it.

YES. While I know some trackball issues are hardware-related, I believe many are still software related. I experience exactly what you describe. I have my horizontal sensitivity at 90%, and while it's just barely controllable in most apps, in text apps it's way slow. Some themes response is great; some, it's very very slow. There is more at work here than just flaky hardware.

xxDruMMer BoYxx 08-14-2009 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ffejie (Post 1450397)
I had one of the really poorly made Tours from the early going. The battery door was really loose, the scroll ball didn't work horizontally after a few days and the battery was about 8 hours if I didn't talk on the phone.

So, I got a new one. The battery door is still a little loose, but not nearly as much as the other. The scroll ball works great.

Overall, the whole bottom part of the unit feels completely different. It is much much firmer. the keyboard is not nearly as mushy, making it easier to type. The Menu and Back buttons are sturdier as well. I would have to say to anyone that is the slightest bit unhappy with their current Tour within the 30 days, replace it! It's worth the hassle as you'll probably get a much better device.

hm...ive had mine since the day it came out....better build? nah not really...just better luck...lol..

ffejie 08-14-2009 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rajones19 (Post 1451351)
YES. While I know some trackball issues are hardware-related, I believe many are still software related. I experience exactly what you describe. I have my horizontal sensitivity at 90%, and while it's just barely controllable in most apps, in text apps it's way slow. Some themes response is great; some, it's very very slow. There is more at work here than just flaky hardware.

It's almost like the guys who built the messages application didn't get the memo that trackball sensitivity needed to be jacked up. There doesn't appear to be any reason that a software tweak won't fix this. Maybe someone will even develop a 3rd party piece of software!