BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   GPS & Mapping (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   How do I start the GPS and the maps on my BB Curve 8900 ??? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=224269)

dhaukos 04-14-2010 05:50 AM

How do I start the GPS and the maps on my BB Curve 8900 ???

I have a BB Curve 8900, and I don't know how to open the navigation ... Please help cause I love my BB ... :)

Dubdub 04-14-2010 06:29 AM

First of all, do you have a BB data plan?

Then you need to have Location Service on - Settings> Options> Advanced Options> GPS

Then go outside with a clear view of the sky and let GPS lock on. Could take 20 minutes, especially if this is the first time.

Then you need a map application. I recommend GoogleMaps. But there is a yellow sticky at the top of the GPS section with reviews of the various map applications.

Dubdub 04-14-2010 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hnezzssf (Post 1594097)
Wirelessly posted

Up!
Same question!

Please update your profile to include BB model and cell carrier. It makes a difference if you have problems.

dhaukos 04-14-2010 11:02 AM

Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dubdub (Post 1594098)
First of all, do you have a BB data plan?

Then you need to have Location Service on - Settings> Options> Advanced Options> GPS

Then go outside with a clear view of the sky and let GPS lock on. Could take 20 minutes, especially if this is the first time.

Then you need a map application. I recommend GoogleMaps. But there is a yellow sticky at the top of the GPS section with reviews of the various map applications.

Sorry, I do not have a BB data plan ... I buy the phone unlock, free . There is a data plan on my carrier but no way I am gone pay 11 euro for 5mb trafic and what is it over this plan I pay 0,238 euro ...

I still love my BB and I will find a way to overcame that ... anyway I didn't buy it for the GPS feature, I was thinking if I had a GPS why not use it ...

The GPS is working because I see my coordinates ...

Thank you for the help .

dhaukos 04-14-2010 11:05 AM

Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dubdub (Post 1594099)
Please update your profile to include BB model and cell carrier. It makes a difference if you have problems.

BB model is Curve 8900 . The carrier is a greek company named COSMOTE . I do not have a BB plan because is too damn ... 11 euro for 5MB trafic/month ...

Dubdub 04-14-2010 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhaukos (Post 1594248)
BB model is Curve 8900 . The carrier is a greek company named COSMOTE . I do not have a BB plan because is too damn ... 11 euro for 5MB trafic/month ...

That comment on adding to the profile was direct at hnezzssf.

Your information is listed.

Dubdub 04-14-2010 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhaukos (Post 1594242)
Sorry, I do not have a BB data plan ... I buy the phone unlock, free . There is a data plan on my carrier but no way I am gone pay 11 euro for 5mb trafic and what is it over this plan I pay 0,238 euro ...

I still love my BB and I will find a way to overcame that ... anyway I didn't buy it for the GPS feature, I was thinking if I had a GPS why not use it ...

The GPS is working because I see my coordinates ...

Thank you for the help .

You can use a generic data plan for basic, non-RIM related services, but it is a work around at best.

From our FAQ:

How to use BlackBerry on Generic Data Plan - BlackBerryFAQ

What do I need a Data Plan for? - BlackBerryFAQ

dhaukos 04-14-2010 04:17 PM

Thank you very much . I am just curious, what BB data plan do you have ???

Dubdub 04-14-2010 05:28 PM

Personal BIS from ATT

dhaukos 04-16-2010 02:56 PM

In the end ... :)

In the end , I will take a BB plan at 11 euro ... Weahhh ... That's life ... :)