BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General BlackBerry Discussion (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Stolen BB Question (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=245442)

Jorevan 02-26-2011 08:02 AM

Stolen BB Question

Hey,
Yeah, so someone stole my blackberry curve 9300 and I wont be getting it back, I have deactivated the phone so they can't use it unless they crack it. My question is because it's linked to my email account, now that I've changed the password, will they still be getting my emails or will they have to enter the new password in order to receive them? Thanks for your help in advance.

devnull 02-26-2011 08:12 AM

Re: Stolen BB Question

call your carrier and have them deactivate the phone and BIS.

aiharkness 02-26-2011 08:14 AM

If the device is not password protected, they will have access to data that is on the device. Sounds from your account of things that you changed your email passwords and removed the device PIN from your BIS, so new email won't go to the device. You should notify all necessary contacts that your old PIN is not you anymore.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

Jorevan 02-26-2011 08:25 AM

I have done all of the above and the phone is password protected. However, if they cracked the phone would they still be able to access my email account?
Also in general if you haven't had your phone stolen, when you change your password on your email account are you required to enter the new password? - because if not I would consider changing email address just in case.

NJBlackBerry 02-26-2011 09:02 AM

What does "cracked the phone" mean?
If the phone was locked, then unless they knew the password they could not get to your e-mail. If they type the password incorrectly (10 times) it will get erased.

Jorevan 02-26-2011 09:06 AM

I mean jailbreaking it.
Ok, say they could access my phone, and they could view my old emails, if I changed the password would they still get new emails to the phone or would they have to enter it again?

NJBlackBerry 02-26-2011 09:12 AM

It's not an iPhone. Let's start over. What does Jailbreaking mean to you? Hack the password?

If they COULD access your phone, it means they have the password. So someone you know took it. Different than stolen.

If they have the password to the BB, they have your e-mail. Change all e-mail passwords immediately. If you did call your carrier, they should deactivate it for voice and text.

Jorevan 02-26-2011 09:18 AM

Yeah hacking it one way or the other.
Nope it's stolen.
I have changed my email passwords, so they would have to enter the new password to continue to recieve emails?

NJBlackBerry 02-26-2011 09:23 AM

Yes.

Jorevan 02-26-2011 09:28 AM

Ok, that's great, I get it now, thanks :)

Lindawpl 03-06-2011 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aiharkness (Post 1703949)
If the device is not password protected, they will have access to data that is on the device. Sounds from your account of things that you changed your email passwords and removed the device PIN from your BIS, so new email won't go to the device. You should notify all necessary contacts that your old PIN is not you anymore.

Hi ! Seems like you are very knowledgeable on what to do after BB being stolen. I will change my emails passwords, but i am not clear about how to remove the device pIN from my BIS (i don't even know those terms:oops:)
So till now I have lost my BB for about 5 days, and the service provider (INDOSAT) can't help much for they say they can only duplicate my numbers and stop the old ones.
What are the steps to block the "new owner" of my device to unable to use it even when he /she has the unit?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Lindawpl 03-06-2011 11:53 PM

Hi friends,
I just lost my BB 9700 about 5 days ago.
My service provider could not help much with stopping the "new owner" from using the device.
Now I heard that we can do something about it, so even we can't get the device back, it can't be use anyhow.
Could someone here please help me in sending the info on how to do so?

My BB pin is 21EF3599
Imei: 359564034067761
BT MAC: 307C30910C58
Blackberry 9700 5.0.0 bundle 633
Model RCM 71 UV
PRD- 17739-152
( i just copied the above details from my bb box)

Awaiting for some helps here....thanks in advance :)

wjereb 03-07-2011 08:09 AM

It won't help the users that just lost their BB's but Rim just released a new free app called Blackberry Protect. It's available on App World. Allows you to locate your device if lost. Also does regular wireless backups and will allow you to lock and/or wipe the device if it's gone for good. Note that it doesn't work if you're on BES as many of the functions are already available (except for locate) to those users.

Bill J

aiharkness 03-07-2011 09:37 AM

Linda, I don't know anything about stopping someone from setting up your device on their own mobile service account, other than reporting the device stolen to your service provider.

The key thing, in my opinion, is to prevent someone from accessing your personal information on the BlackBerry, and also prevent someone from using the device on your mobile service account. Using a password lock and encrypting files on the media card is the single biggest measure you can take on the first step of protecting yourself. Notifying your carrier (and the police, if stolen) of the loss of the BlackBerry is the second step. Also, putting your contact info on the owner screen increases the chances of recovering the device if you lose it.

Going forward, BlackBerry Protect would provide you with some useful features. But I don't think it removes the importance of the password lock. If someone does steal your device with the intention of getting at the data that is on it, all they have to do is remove the battery before you are able to do anything. But if it is locked, they won't get get at your data, without extraordinary means. If you set content protection, then for certain they won't get at it.

For what it's worth, the big benefit of BlackBerry Protect is the automatic remote backup. Being able to see the location of your BlackBerry is cool, being able to remotely wipe it is cool, but to me it's the information on the BlackBerry that's important. If I break my BlackBerry or lose it, I can pop into a store and buy another, or order one online and have it express delivered. Not so with what's on it. Protecting and securing the content seems most important in my opinion.

AMZ 03-13-2011 03:08 AM

Linda -from the service provider, i assume u r from Indonesia. From my limited knowledge, Blackberry Protect does not support in Indonesia. What more, u need to install the app in the device first. in your case, the device is already lost - am not too sure what else can be done to stop the 'new' user to get access to the device itself. I just lost mine yesterday....