BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 9900 Series Discussion - Bold Touch (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Microphone works intermittently after update (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=260871)

snhrph 08-03-2012 12:12 PM

Microphone works intermittently after update

I installed the 7.1.0.428 yesterday and 2 things happened:

1. Microphone works intermittently. On most calls the other party can not hear my while I hear them perfectly. I'm saying on MOST because once in the while the microphone works and I can complete the call. Any ideas?

2. I lost hotspot functionality after the update. Anyone else had that problem?

aiharkness 08-03-2012 01:33 PM

Re: Microphone works intermittently after update

Don't really have an answer to #2....Never ran into that issue.

On #1, is there any pattern? For example, I've had similar issues on wifi calling. Rebooting corrects the problem in my case.

Or, could be a hardware issue that has happened by coincidence along with the upgrade. Rule out software and network and you'll know.

Howard S. 08-03-2012 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snhrph (Post 1784293)
I installed the 7.1.0.428 yesterday and 2 things happened:

1. Microphone works intermittently. On most calls the other party can not hear my while I hear them perfectly. I'm saying on MOST because once in the while the microphone works and I can complete the call. Any ideas?

This is a fairly well known problem for certain AT&T users, myself included. I updated to 7.1.0.569 and had the same problem this week and had to downgrade back to .205. There are a few 7.1 OS versions that do not have the mic issue, .205 and .437 are two of them. I think you'll be safe with either of those and they are rock solid.

snhrph 08-03-2012 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aiharkness (Post 1784301)
Don't really have an answer to #2....Never ran into that issue.

Hot spot ran perfectly on .284. Downgraded the OS back to .284 but the hot spot still does not work.

The interesting kink to all that is that when I type Myver on bb it shows 7.1.0.428. But the only OS that I have on my laptop is the .284... :shock:

Quote:

Originally Posted by aiharkness (Post 1784301)
On #1, is there any pattern? For example, I've had similar issues on wifi calling. Rebooting corrects the problem in my case.

Or, could be a hardware issue that has happened by coincidence along with the upgrade. Rule out software and network and you'll know.

No real pattern that was apparent. Last night I thought that I was having the issue with calling other cell phones, but today I could not complete the call to the desk phone next to me.

Rebooting does not solve the issue, tried it several times. Starting bb in the Safe Mode failed to resolve the issue either, so I'm fairly confident that the issue is with the OS...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Howard S. (Post 1784311)
This is a fairly well known problem for certain AT&T users, myself included. I updated to 7.1.0.569 and had the same problem this week and had to downgrade back to .205. There are a few 7.1 OS versions that do not have the mic issue, .205 and .437 are two of them. I think you'll be safe with either of those and they are rock solid.

I read about the infamous AT&T microphone bug. It sucks. This is the first real issue that I have had with a blackberry in many years.

I rolled back to a 7.1.0.284 that I used for a long time, but the issue persisted. I will try wiping the phone tonight and reloading the .284.

snhrph 08-03-2012 11:01 PM

It seems that I was able to resolve both issues by downgrading back to 7.1.0.284

Took more than a couple of tries... I ended up uninstalling ALL RIM software from my laptop, wiping bb with JL commander, downloading all new software to pc, uploading a 7.0 OS version from att to my bb, and than updating to 7.1.0.284 from T-Mo.

I'm sticking with this build for a looooong time. :)

aiharkness 08-04-2012 06:21 AM

Interesting. Thanks for posting follow up.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

Howard S. 08-08-2012 12:37 AM

Very interesting. Makes you wonder if that wouldn't work with known mic issue versions.

Question: you wiped the phone but what did you use to backup and restore your 3rd party applications?

snhrph 08-10-2012 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Howard S. (Post 1784659)
Very interesting. Makes you wonder if that wouldn't work with known mic issue versions.

Question: you wiped the phone but what did you use to backup and restore your 3rd party applications?

I used Desktop Manager to both back-up and restore 3rd party apps and data.

The only casualty was the WeatherBug app - it did not reinstall and I can't find it anywhere. On the appworld it says that my device is not compatible with the app. :shock:

I searched the forum, and the couple of links that I found were old and did not work. Anyone has a working link to the download?