BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   Rants and Raves Forum (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   is RIM Overcharging? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=57345)

newyowker 12-10-2006 10:02 PM

is RIM Overcharging?

I have sprint with a blackberry 8703e. Normally sprint charges $15 per month for unlimited internet service + tv for customers with every phone except the bb. (Treo included which can be used as a modem) The blackberry internet plan is $40, almost TRIPLE the normal plan for the same exact speed. They say it's because traffic has to go through RIM's servers. Are there benefits of this or is it just an easy way for RIM to make lots of extra money for no apparent reason. Thanks!

NJBlackBerry 12-10-2006 10:10 PM

T-Mobile charges $19.99 for an unlimited plan on top of a voice plan. Is your beef over the TRIPLE costs with RIM or Sprint?

glehman85 12-10-2006 10:53 PM

dont blame rim for high prices, blame the carrier.

newyowker 12-10-2006 11:45 PM

Good point - I wasn't sure how much other carriers charged. I was pretty much going by what Sprint says since my friends have Sprint as well. The Sprint reps blame RIM.

glehman85 12-10-2006 11:48 PM

some charge more, some charge less. just be happy you dont live in canada, they pay upwards to twice as much as you pay for not even unlimited

NJBlackBerry 12-11-2006 08:31 AM

Ask your Sprint rep why their charges are at the top of the scale. T-Mobile is less. Cingular is less.

tbdiscovery 12-11-2006 01:18 PM

When I was with Nextel, unlimited data was $50 from what I can remember. I was actually happy to have a decrease in price when moving to Sprint.

alslsb 12-11-2006 02:05 PM

I was very happy when I moved from Nextel to Sprint; $50 to $19.99!!!

markhutchison 12-11-2006 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glehman85
some charge more, some charge less. just be happy you dont live in canada, they pay upwards to twice as much as you pay for not even unlimited

$60/month for up to 30MB of usage ...

jibi 12-11-2006 05:53 PM

Just to note, a lot of this has to do with contracts signed by carriers and RIM, in addition to the mark-up the carrier wants to charge. The more customers a carrier has for a certain service, the cheaper they can offer it without taking a hit on their overall. I think it's fairly easy to say that T-Mobile and Cingular have more BlackBerry customers than any other provider in the States (likely the world, but I won't place bets).

Soapm 12-11-2006 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbdiscovery
When I was with Nextel, unlimited data was $50 from what I can remember. I was actually happy to have a decrease in price when moving to Sprint.

Nextel no doubts boost the price for extra's like BB so they can give you a deal on the squak box.

Chinasaur 01-07-2007 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jibi
I think it's fairly easy to say that T-Mobile and Cingular have more BlackBerry customers than any other provider in the States (likely the world, but I won't place bets).

Jibi, you don't think Verizon does? They have a LOT of business contracts. Wondering though..I wonder who DOES have the largerst BB population?

SimonMac 01-08-2007 03:51 AM

You'll should count yourself lucky, O2 in the UK charge £45/$87 for unlimited data.

Liv 01-08-2007 05:01 AM

That is the one thing about me going from TMob to Sprint. I am going to have to pay double what I pay for my blackberry.

But it is a good trade off for me. I travel way too much for TMob, I always have to deal with having no signal. With Sprint it is rarely a problem for me.