BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   BES Admin Corner (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Handheld Configuration Tool stops functioning (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=6457)

Masud 04-13-2005 07:07 AM

Handheld Configuration Tool stops functioning

Dear all,

We were running BES 4.0 for Exchange on a Windows 2003 server with Exchange 2003, without any trouble. The BES uses the default MSDE 2000 as the SQL database environment.

Now after upgrading to BES 4.0.1, the Handheld Configuration Tool will not start anymore. Every time we try to start it the application gives an error:

"System Problem - please review log for additional information. Database connection pool failed to initialize"

In the event log the following entry appears:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: HHCG
Event Category: None
Event ID: 10000
Date: 13-4-2005
Time: 13:56:37
User: N/A
Computer: SERVERNAME
Description:
COM Error 0x80004005 in ConnectionItem::ConnectToDB() - [DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]SQL Server does not exist or access denied. - Unspecified error

Can anyone please help me with this? We ran the upgrade according to specifications and all other BES functions are functioning without trouble. Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Masud

bfrye 04-13-2005 07:15 AM

Looks to me like it's either looking to the wrong place for your SQL database or the credentials are wrong.

Masud 04-13-2005 07:20 AM

Thanks for the quick reply.

Any idea on how to change the credentials for the Handheld Configuration Tool? The BlackBerry Manager runs flawlessly, but the Handheld Configuration Tool keeps giving this error.

Cheers,

Masud

bfrye 04-13-2005 07:21 AM

Not sure, would have to look in settings/tools/etc.. something like that. I don't think groupwise has a handheld app manager.

Masud 04-13-2005 07:24 AM

Anyone else have any suggestions on how to correct this problem? Please help.

Cheers,

Masud

Masud 04-13-2005 10:31 AM

Hi all,

The issue has been solved, thanks to forum member Snakeblood...for general public knowledge purposes, I am posting the solution here:

This seems to be a known issue when using a local MSDE and is caused by the absence of two protocols. To enable these two protocols, go to the MS SQL Server folder in "Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn\" and run the application: "SVRNETCN.exe". Here enable 'Named Pipes' and 'TCP/IP' protocols.

Then restart MSSQLSERVER service and restart the BES

Many thanks to Snakeblood for filling me in!

Cheers,

Masud

Artah 10-07-2005 09:11 PM

Different Configuration Same Symptom

I am getting the exact same symptom but I am using an instanced SQL 2000 server. Both TCP and Named Pipes are enabled. BES version is 4.0sp1. If anyone fixed this problem let me know, thanks.

Natrone 10-12-2005 07:23 PM

You need to put in the correct port number that your SQL server is using for the BES database. So when you install and it asks for the database name, you would type in (databasename\instance, portnumber)

I had the same problem and everything is good to go now. BTW, if you go to SP2 you won't have this problem.

fmsadmin 11-01-2005 03:54 PM

Same problem - Masud/Snakeblood solution worked

I had the same problem with the Handheld Configuration Tool after I upgraded my BES 4.0 to SP3.
It would not clear until I enabled the protocols that Masud found posted by Snakeblood.
Thanks guys!

crowdienz 11-29-2005 01:16 AM

We had exactly the same problem after installing Service Pack 1. We fixed it by installing Service Pack 1 Hotfix 3 and restarting the BES server.

elkabong 12-06-2005 06:19 PM

RIM KB on HHCF Issue.

Check out the BB KB Article HERE. It'll probably require a BES Reboot. Good Luck.