BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   BES Admin Corner (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Role Administration (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=72450)

DeanR 04-10-2007 07:23 AM

Role Administration

Urgent help needed please guys.

Have two sites with their own BES 4.1.2 servers.

Both are running normally with their own BESAdmin accounts etc. Both BESAdmins are setup the exact same way and I've just checked everything permissions wise.

Adding/deleting users and setting IT policies for both BESAdmins works fine.

However, on Site B, I can clcik role administartion and then list administrators and the popup comes up showing the current admins to choose from.

On Site A, when I hit list administrators, I get the error: Permissions prevent the listing of administrators or changing administrator association to a newly selected role.

Now I'm guessing this is to do with database permissions, with both my sites running MSDE and both having a database name of BESMgmtNew.

can someone please advise me how to check beadmin permissions on the databases as I'm not really familiar with SQL or MSDE commands etc.

I'd like initially to be able to check if besadmin for site a has same permissions as besadmin on site b around the database i.e. either a sysadmin or a dbcreator but I dont know how to do this, unless of course somebody knows the answer to this problem, if which case, I'd like to know that please.

I'm really struggling here guys, so as much help would be greatly appreciated.

goresci 04-10-2007 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeanR

Both are running normally with their own BESAdmin accounts etc. Both BESAdmins are setup the exact same way and I've just checked everything permissions wise.

However, on Site B, I can clcik role administartion and then list administrators and the popup comes up showing the current admins to choose from.

On Site A, when I hit list administrators, I get the error: Permissions prevent the listing of administrators or changing administrator association to a newly selected role.

Now I'm guessing this is to do with database permissions, with both my sites running MSDE and both having a database name of BESMgmtNew.

can someone please advise me how to check beadmin permissions on the databases as I'm not really familiar with SQL or MSDE commands etc.

I'd like initially to be able to check if besadmin for site a has same permissions as besadmin on site b around the database i.e. either a sysadmin or a dbcreator but I dont know how to do this, unless of course somebody knows the answer to this problem, if which case, I'd like to know that please.

if you have ms sql enterprise manager you can connect to the database - check under security and see what rights each account has

jrbes 04-10-2007 08:45 AM

I have the same error pop-up when my account does not have "sys admin" rights to the SQL. DB Owner does not fulfill the need for Role Adminstration. The bad thing is due to security restrictions the account cannot have sys admin rights as it's default - so I have to ask to be bumped up each time I want to add\remove\list someone. I have just posed this question to DART support.

goresci 04-10-2007 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeanR

a little more details

open enterprise manager
navigate to sql server group/sqlservername/security
its in logins

jrbes 04-10-2007 08:49 AM

If you have access to the SQL box you should be able to look at the properties of the DB and see what permissions are granted to which accounts.

Sorry if this doesn't help...

DeanR 04-10-2007 09:55 AM

Thanks for the responses so far guys, but I'm not using full SQL, I'm using MSDE and as mentioned, I'm not familiar with SQL stuff at all really. I'm the only IT person here and look after all BES stuff, so I have no database admins etc.

Apart from digging deeper into MSDE command prompt commands, which I think I'm going to have to do, I've checked everything else from NTFS permisisons on the Data folder of MSSQL and the database firles inside on both servers and everything seems to match.

I cant see what could be different on the BES admin acoxxxxs if they both match in AD to have this working on one bes server and not on the other. It must be to do with database rights/permissions. As I say, I'm using MSDE and don't know much about it apart from that I'll probably need to change some settings through command prompt for this.

More help please guys!!!!!

mahoward 04-10-2007 02:36 PM

Do a search on DBAMgr2K and download it. It is a free util that is a replica of SQL Enterprise Mgr and is to be used with MSDE. Avoids having to learn the osql commands.

silver_2000 04-11-2007 05:19 PM

If it was me I would use one DB for both servers

That way you can do BES server maintenance by simply moving people from one server to another

I wouldn't use the same db name for both boxes - makes it less confusing