BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   BES Admin Corner (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   How do I log BB Messenger conversations? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=77542)

penguin3107 05-22-2007 10:42 AM

How do I log BB Messenger conversations?

I can't seem to figure out how to log Blackberry Messenger conversations.
I expected the conversations to be included in the PIN messaging log files much like a normal PIN message... however this doesn't seem to be happening.

Did I miss a setting somewhere, or do we not have the ability to log BB Messenger conversations?

ladydi 05-22-2007 11:18 AM

The only "logging" option I have found for bbmessenger is the ability to e-mail each conversation to a specified e-mail address. You pick the intervals at which it sends the conversations. And as far as I can tell, it only sends open conversations. I didn't play with it too much after it bombed my inbox the first time and I only have 22 users!

That is my experience, but perhaps I missed something and there is a better way...at least I hope there is.

penguin3107 05-22-2007 11:26 AM

Ah yes, I did see those options in the IT Policy and I didn't think it looked like what I needed.
Thanks for the heads-up about the inbox bomb :)

x14 05-22-2007 03:17 PM

In IT Policy goto "PIM Sync Policy Group" and set "Disable PIN Message Wireless Sync" to False.

penguin3107 05-22-2007 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by x14 (Post 543543)
In IT Policy goto "PIM Sync Policy Group" and set "Disable PIN Message Wireless Sync" to False.

That doesn't work for BB Messenger conversations. We have that enabled already, and have been logging direct PIN messages for quite some time.
My problem is that this option does not record conversations when the users are chatting via BB Messenger. You'd think it would work... but it actually doesn't.
Surprisingly, the PIN log does record the "handshaking" process when one users adds another user to the BB Messenger contacts. It just doesn't record the actual chat session.

x14 05-23-2007 06:18 AM

Really, I have to check this out.

stac 07-25-2007 09:39 AM

Conclusion??

I guess I'm wondering if there were any conclusions reached on this - I have been trying to find a way to implement logging of blackberry messenger conversations, and SMS seems to work great - but BBIM doesn't log at all. Does anyone have ANY info on how to make this happen??

Thanks,
Stac

penguin3107 07-25-2007 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stac (Post 612431)
I guess I'm wondering if there were any conclusions reached on this - I have been trying to find a way to implement logging of blackberry messenger conversations, and SMS seems to work great - but BBIM doesn't log at all. Does anyone have ANY info on how to make this happen??

Thanks,
Stac

ladidi's response above offers the only BB Messenger logging solution available right now.

Lilwho38 09-20-2007 01:31 PM

Ah, but can your wireless carrier get their hands on the BB Messenger messages? And what about if your are using BIS? Can anyone sequester those messages?

hdawg 09-21-2007 07:59 AM

Your carrier can get ahold of any data that travels from your HH to your BES if it is OTA. Granted, most of that data is encrypted, and BB Messenger messages are scrambled (encrypted using a shared key that all BBs have). Can the data be obtained? Yes, but its all either encrypted or scrambled.

x14 09-21-2007 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilwho38 (Post 674163)
And what about if your are using BIS? Can anyone sequester those messages?

BIS is not encrypted. Only BES is ecrypted.

Lilwho38 09-21-2007 08:53 AM

So if BIS is not encrypted, then your carrier can obtain BB Messenger messages?????

hdawg 09-21-2007 08:55 AM

ALL BB MESSENGER MESSAGES ARE SCRAMBLED (ENCRYPTED) USING A SHARED KEY BETWEEN ALL BLACKBERRY DEVICES. YES A CARRIER CAN OBTAIN AND DECRYPT THEM USING THIS SHARED KEY ... I CAN TOO.

Sorry for the CAPS, just wanted to be clear.

Jadey 09-21-2007 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stac (Post 612431)

Thanks,
Stac

I guess the only other way is to force use of only native messaging system IM (for me SameTime) and log those conversations via sametime server (don't know about exchange equivalent).

jacob002 01-15-2008 05:00 PM

Does anyone know if one of the recent BES releases has addressed this issue? The PIN log shows the "handshaking" process, but that's all.

Thanks!
Jacob

declanw 10-26-2008 08:29 PM

I set up to send the emails - not ideal but does work. However I left the Messenger Audit UID field blank, and the emails came from random user's emails - not good. Is there a way I can set which email address the audit messages come from? If so, how.

Thank you.

johnnytwotoes 01-02-2009 12:16 PM

Any chance there is an update to this thread? My understanding is that BB Messenger conversations STILL cannot be audited other than sending them through individual emails. (aside from some carrier ninja decription - which if you've ever tried to get ahold of comminication companies records is nearly impossible)

John Clark 01-02-2009 12:25 PM

That's still the only method.

johnnytwotoes 01-02-2009 07:02 PM

awesome. thanks. JT

Jhash 01-13-2009 11:50 AM

can you please explain how to receive a copy of the bbmessages in my email???
as laididi describes!!!
thanks