View Single Post
Old 08-09-2008, 02:23 AM   #69
gunzor

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360Modworkz View Post
I'm kind of tired of seeing the answer "NO" for all of these questions, you CAN change the color of the trackball on ANY blackberry, people say the only way is to color the SMD, put colored tape over it, or take a Sharpie to it, NO! It is a simple 0603 replacement. It just requires two soldering irons and two people! Desolder the first one, and solder on a color of your choice! The reason for two people instead of one, is the method used for most desoldering cannot be used here, I am talking about the bathing method, where you bathe the SMD in solder until it comes up, because one person cannot desolder both sides of the SMD without using tons of solder and messing up the surrounding area on a blackberry, just get two experience people with irons, tin the tips barely, and desolder the original! This ensures that there will be no mess what-so-ever! And one person can solder on the SMD to replace! That easy! So please people, stop saying that it can't be done...it CAN! Thanks.

Joe - 360Modworkz
Of course it CAN be done, but you're going about it all wrong.

You need the right tool for the job, and this particular job requires hot tweezers, such as the Hakko 950-CK (which apparently I cannot link to due to low post count...). It is "essentially" a pair of soldering/desoldering irons, and should only be used by a qualified electronics repair person. I've been doing this type of repair for 8 years now, and would NOT suggest anyone attempt the type of "lets take a stab at it" SMD replacement technique you describe above. You risk not only damaging the circuit board, but the SMD AND the contact pads on said circuit board.

In other words, if you (as a reader of this thread) want to get your phone's lights changed out, get a professional to do it correctly, not just someone that can "make it work".
Offline   Reply With Quote