View Single Post
Old 09-04-2008, 09:09 PM   #35
carlkra
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Default Memory Leak?

I understand the OS's and JVM's active use of memory for multiple applications and that multiple garbage collection methods run in various situations to reclaim memory no longer in use. Sure it's normal for memory to fluctuate. But my Bold fluctuates mostly down (first with OS v4.6.0.125 and now with v4.6.0.134). It loses .5MB in 30-60 min doing nothing but if you start web browsing, it easily consumes 10MB/hour and no matter how long you let it sit after that it will not reclaim more than a small portion of that lost memory. It's better since I disabled Javascript in all the browsers but still severe.

The new OS (4.6.0.134) is better than .125 in that the browser actually works (with Javascript disabled) and there is more free memory to start with. The functionality is actually very good if you watch the memory level. Now maybe, if I let the memory level get critical, it will trigger a more aggressive garbage collection and keeps its head above water on its own but I haven't had the guts to try that yet.

I have just been doing soft resets (ALT-RightShift-DEL) and not pulling the battery and that seems to reclaim most of the lost memory much more conveniently.

Regards,

Carl
Offline   Reply With Quote