View Single Post
Old 03-31-2009, 04:03 PM   #27
PaulFuji

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Default Fix extends battery life

Hi All,

For sure the OEM Holster with the 8900 causes battery drain. I used it for a week and with very little use (10 e-mails, 2 phone calls) I'd be down from 100% charge to less than 20% by evening. But... when I removed the phone from the holster, battery life only decreased by about 20% per day - giving me 4 days without charge!

So, I'd seen where some people have started to remove the battery. However, it's not necessary. All you have to do is de-magnetize the battery as much as possible. I've done it and I'm getting only 20% per day decrease. Not only that, because I was only able to weaken the strength of the magnet and not completely de-magnetize it, it works as it should! It turns off the phone when I insert it into the pouch.

Here is how I did it.

1) I used a coin (small piece of iron would work) to locate the exact position (and side of case) of the magnet.

2) I then used a strong magnet that I'd removed from a speaker years ago. I stroked from all different directions at random across the magnet. I even did it from the other side of the case too. It must be done randomly.

That's it! The magnet is so weak now it could barely pick up a Canadian 25c piece. Previously it grabbed it quite strongly.

So Rim should be de-magnetizing these magnets in the pouches before shipping them out and everyone would be happy.

Please let me know how it goes for you.

Paul
Offline   Reply With Quote