PIN: Ask
Carrier: US Cellular

Please Login to Remove!

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterG
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmith3530 View Post
You mean that "jailbreaking" the iPhone will allow for video function from the camera? It will allow for multi-tasking? It will suddenly add the OBEX profile to Bluetooth? It will fix the difficulty with texting? It will make the screen bulletproof? And last, will it speed up web browsing under GPRS?

Oh since jayuk022002 didn't mention it, I'll add it and ask here. Will jailbreaking fix the lousy RF reception?

I don't think so!

A garbage phone, even if it's sexy, is still a garbage phone. But hey, it is soooo desirable. HA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayuk022002 View Post
I have owned an iphone 3g 8gb. I was caught by the wow factor and for the first week i thought it was amazing.

In fact it was the wow factor that was hiding all of the horrible bits.

These are the reasons why i got rid of my iphone (not in any order)

1) MMS - no mms

2) No more than 1 program open at a time

3) You cannot bluetooth anything at all. Only can be used with headsets and car kits

4) PC Connectivity. You cannot just quickly connect it to a pc and just copy files onto it

5) Texting is slow and hard to hit the right letters

6) You cannot forward text messages

7) There is always the fear of breaking the screen

8) No custom ring tones or text tones

9) Web browser is only good if you get 3g signal or wifi. Basic gprs is too slow for it.

10) No video camera

This is just my personal opinion though
Let me clarify my "Jailbreak" post:

1. MMS: Native iPhone App: You can now Send & Receive MMS on your iPhone using SwirlyMMS - iPhone Hacks

2. Running apps in the background: http://lifehacker.com/5058555/iphone...le-iphone-apps

3. Bluetooth: iBluetooth Released - First iPhone App to Allow Users to Transfer Files via Bluetooth - iPhone Hacks

4. PC Connectivity: No need to jailbreak here DISCOVER

5. Try a different keyboard: keyboard themes for iphone - Google Search

6. Forward text messages: Text forwarding/deleting with BiteSMS / Jailbreak req'd - iPhone 3G | iPod touch Forums

7. Cases: iphone cases - Google Product Search

8. Custom Ring Tones etc.: I'm not even going to link this one as there are thousands.

9. Browser Speed: Wouldn't know as I've got a Touch

10. Video: Lifehacker - VideoRecorder Turns Your iPhone into a Video Camera - Apps Worth Jailbreaking For

All of that being said, I'm a huge fan of my 8300 Curve and am really looking forward to my next BB phone. The point though is that jailbreaking can do sooo much more for your iPhone or Touch.
And after all that work and God only knows what expense, you still have the lousey RF reception! Seems like a waste to me. And, to JackG, now you are carrying three devices around, when just two would do admirably. I see both the iPhone and the iTouch as just a huge waste of dough, but hey, if wasting dough is your thing, don't let me stand in your way!