Old 10-24-2009, 04:58 PM   #4
sgt-d
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
Can you explain here what the differences are in the versions Standalone, Portable and Standard?
The Standard version of MCP is a normal "Windows installer" format that most people will probably use. All required files are self-contained in the installer. When it's done installing you will get a Start Menu folder, one Desktop icon and the application will be listed in Add/Remove Programs for easy removal later if needed.

The Portable version is designed to work with PortableApps (PortableApps.com - Portable software for USB drives). So, if you need MCP to run on your thumb drive you can easily take it with you wherever you go.

Stand Alone is one EXE. You can download it and put it in its own folder. When you run it it will download a few necessary files and then it will launch the main window. The idea here is kinda simple: no need to actually install it on your hard drive. This is almost a "no fuss" way to test MCP. No entries on the Start Menu, nothing added to the Add/Remove Programs list, etc. If you don't like it, delete the folder and all traces of MCP are gone. I plan on rebuilding this soon so the EXE contains all of the required files and extracts them if they are missing instead of using the download method I mentioned.

Sorry for typos, omissions, I'm typing this out as I go
Offline   Reply With Quote