View Single Post
Old 03-23-2010, 05:10 PM   #9
the-economist
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
Carrier: Vodafone Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsconyers View Post
I thought I would get an answer like this. I don't see how this would be supportive of her beliefs. It would be more of me pushing other beliefs onto her.
You don't need to be supportive, you need to be rational.
Quote:
My question to you is, just because you don't believe in God and someone else does, what makes your belief right and theirs make-believe?
Probably the fact that i don't talk to non existent entities and i don't have imaginary friends. And my point only becomes stronger when i lookup psychosis under the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fourth Edition (DSM-IV)
Quote:
By telling someone that God isn't real, doesn't exist, and belongs in a children's book, how is that any different than "brainwashing" as a church allegedly does?
It really isn't. The only difference being you're basing it on science and not dogma. Any form of religion would eventually die out. At least in the educated nations.

February 16, 1600. The Roman Catholic Church that your partner participates in orders the execution of Giordano Bruno. An italian scientist. He is burnt alive for the crime of heresy. Do you know what constituted heresy in the 1600s for the Catholic Church? Defending the Copernican system of astronomy. He lost his life set to fire alive with his tongue tight in a knot so he couldn't address the public. He died defending the same principles with Galileo. Do you know WHEN the Chrurch released a statement accepting Galileo's teachings about stelar objects? In 1993! People born in 1993 are still in the education system today. So when they were born, those scientists of today, the church wanted to burn them alive.

In the middle ages they used to burn alive people with blue eyes because they supposedly were witches and wizards. And although if i tell you today that someone is a witch because of blue eyes you gonna ROTFL, how many people even today believe in superstition, not crossing the path of cats, not walking under stairs, pulling their eyebrows and making wishes. Where do you think all this crap comes from? Middle ages, some 350 years ago.

Christmas eve of 1968 the Apollo 8 mission took a pic of the planet now known as Earthrise. Do you know what happened next? People started posting in papers disputing NOT the mission, but the SHAPE of the earth. It was 1968, some aeons after the Greeks,after Galileo, some centuries after Newton, and people posted whole articles claiming the picture was fake because the earth is really FLAT! 1968! 40 years ago.

So if your partner shared ANY of the above "truths of the era" would you feel the need to be supportive or rational? If she was afraid to go out at night with you because she was brainwashed to believe in Bigfoot, the Yeti, or the Chupacambra what would you do? Be supportive and acceptive of the Yeti's existance, or be rational and disproof all stupidity to kingdom come (sic).

Just hold her tight, tell her that they've been messing with her brains, and you both don't give a flying toss if god exists or not. You got each other. Make sure to extend the message to your children when the time comes.

Last edited by the-economist; 03-23-2010 at 05:21 PM..
Offline   Reply With Quote