View Single Post
Old 12-15-2010, 04:33 PM   #36
TonyTone
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Re: some opinions on switching from iphone to the torch please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphasports View Post
With the average shelf life of "new" phones being about a year (or less!) you need to decide if you want to stop the train and stay awhile with one model, or play the absurd game of "Keep Up" by changing phones every 6 months and "only" losing about 50% to depreciation. Carrier technology (bandwidth) only changes, and slowly, about every 5-7 years (next stop LTE but don't hold your breath), so the only reason to change phones more often than that is boredom or a busted device.

Don't know what my point is here, I'm as guilty as the next guy of device boredom, but I'm frankly bored with the boredom. I've got a Torch and an iPhone and swap the SIM card all the time just to stay amused, if you asked me to "choose one" I'd go with the iPhone, or consult a shrink
lol - i hear ya but at the same time, there is some legitimacy in upgrading to a newer device that has become available.

I, for example, bought the 8820 and had it for a year when the 9700 came out. That device had a camera, a trackpad as opposed to the ball, and many other usable upgrades. The 8820 cost me $200 with a 2 year deal. I got the Bold free (with another two year contract) as long as I bought the Jabra bluetooth car accessory for $100). I sold the 8820 on eBay for the same 200 that I paid. So thus far I'm in $100 deep. I picked up the Torch recently for $100 and sold the Bold on eBay for $260. Turns out - I have the Torch and the Jabra bluetooth and a $60 net GAIN!!

Not bad to upgrade to a superior phone that I love.
Offline   Reply With Quote