DallasFlier
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T
Default Re: I made the switch- Torch to Captivate: REAL Pros and Cons

Quote:
Originally Posted by jDMJeRk View Post
Nice write up! I would have to agree with it 100% minus the fact that I wont be going back to a BB anytime soon.

I think its safe to say that a BB is the most advanced technology when it comes to mobile messaging (sms, mms, email, etc). With that being said, I too wanted something more. At least something that could browse web pages that I too needed to have access too. Even the iPhone can get the job done in that department and thats sad imo.

I've never in my history of mobile devices have ever relied on syncing contacts or calendar events so I can't compare the two, however, if I would have to guess on which device does it better my vote would go towards BB. With this not being a required feature for me, its not on my expectations list when I'm comparing devices.

The battery is definitely an issue BUT since smart phones, I have yet to have a phone that doesn't require a charge every single night. I even had an extended battery on my BB 9000 and even that would get me 1-1/2 days of use which still resulted in a charge somewhere throughout the second day. And to complain about battery life on something that does just about everything a netbook or laptop can do is stupid. Thats like the guy with the high horsepower car complaining about not having the gas mileage of a hybrid, lol (bad comparison- ok fine, a 4 cylinder gas car) The fear of needing to charge your phone is ridiculous. You can charge your phone just about anywhere these days. Learn your routine and know when you need to plug your phone in throughout the day, pretty simple or no? I still can get through an entire day (630am-11:30pm) on one charge AND of those 18 hours, 2 of them I'm using the device as a MP3 player at the gym. If it came down to it, I'd carry an extra battery with me- thats not a big deal when the device can do what it does.

OS5 was a HUGE improvement and almost kept me away from the Android phone (bought the Torch back in August instead of the Captivate with hope) but it still didn't do all the bells and whistles the Android does now and still to this second doesn't.

From my perspective and cell phone use, if messaging and placing phone calls was all I needed my phone to do then I would have stuck with the BB, however its not. The Android, from the three weeks we've been together, needs some improvements in the messaging department however the list of improvements the BB needs in every other department outweighs the flaws of the Android.

Cheers
First, did you mean OS5 was a huge improvement, or OS6? I don't think the Torch ever came with OS5?

I can't disagree with you at all. The BlackBerry doesn't have all the "bells and whistles" that the Captivate does. But the BlackBerry continues to be the best at 1)phone, 2)email and 3) messaging; and those three things are the top three factors for me. OS6 has greatly improved the other ancillary functions of the BlackBerry, but its still behind Android and iPhone in those ancillary areas. But to take your last paragraph:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jDMJeRk View Post
From my perspective and cell phone use, if messaging and placing phone calls was all I needed my phone to do then I would have stuck with the BB, however its not. The Android, from the three weeks we've been together, needs some improvements in the messaging department however the list of improvements the BB needs in every other department outweighs the flaws of the Android.
Here's my version:
Quote:
From my perspective and cell phone use, if messaging and placing phone calls was lower on the list of what I needed my phone to do then I would have moved to iPhone or Android, however its not. The BlackBerry needs some improvements in the ancillary, non-business functions however the list of improvements Android (and iPhone) need in phone, email and messaging outweighs the flaws of the BlackBerry.
That doesn't make either of us right or wrong, but highlights the demographic difference between those who are looking for primarily a business communications device, vs. those who are looking primarily for an entertainment device.

I commend you, by the way, for not making the argument I see made so often from first the iPhone and now the Android camps - that their app stores have so many more apps then BlackBerry does. Of course, that's absolutely true - and the kind of apps speaks volumes about the user demographics!

Quote:
Apple’s App Store is currently experiencing a plague of fart applications. Last week, I detailed one day in which at least 14 new fart apps were accepted into the store. And now, just in a quick search, it looks like there are about 50 apps all dedicated to making fart noises on your iPhone or iPod touch. Classy, I know, but why are there so many?

Because apparently there’s big money in fart apps — nearly $10,000 a day for the most popular ones.

Developer InfoMedia (Joel Comm), which makes iFart Mobile [iTunes link], has been releasing download statistics for the app each day since it launched. The $0.99 app has been in the top 100 paid apps every day since its launch, and has seen great growth. In fact, yesterday it hit the number one overall position with over 13,000 downloads. MacRumors ran the numbers, factoring out the 30 percent cut Apple takes from each sale, and determined that, yesterday alone, iFart Mobile made its developers $9,198.
That was over 2 years ago that there were over 50 to choose from - who knows just how many are there today!

iPhone fart app pulls in nearly $10,000 a day
Offline   Reply With Quote