View Single Post
Old 05-02-2006, 08:44 AM   #12
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by weazbo
But I think RIM will not suffer as much this time. People and potental customers now know that RIM will do whatever it takes to keep the service going.
Doing whatever it takes is one thing, but I think a big player in any future litigation, assuming RIM is going to be smart about it, would be its investors. I think the last minute closed-door sessions with NTP made the investors quite anxious.

With them already winning their jury trial against Seven Networks for a similar product, and with the patent claims already being accepted by the USPTO, I find it quite astonishing that RIM is going to want to put the resources into fighting this again ...but it does appear they are gearing up to do so. Needless to say, there is prior art for the systems, but I'm not sure if that will cover the synchronization patents held by Visto. I do like that RIM has stated its looking into asserting its own patents against Visto, though.