View Single Post
Old 06-16-2006, 10:05 AM   #10
BioHazardx

Model: 8700r

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss this development. I think MS's efforts for push email are a bigger threat to BB than NTP was.

+ They aren't going away, they are licensing their OS to anyone
+ They have released a mobile .NET SDK that will grow the number of developers using it.
+ Its an interface that many non-techies are comfortable with
+ Carriers don't have to do any special provisioning. The data is the data (i get push now as I put a hacked ROM on my 8125. Cingular has no idea and does nothing different to get data to that device as they do to get data to a RAZR or non-windows handset.
+ Handset prices are coming down - some estimate that the Q will be $50 after carrier subsidies by the end of the year.
+ Push is enabled on 2003 accounts by default - so the IT department doesn't have to maintain seperate servers, licenses etc for BB BES

MS may not have it totally figured out (yet) and the Q or the upcoming Samsung SGH-320i may not be BB killers - but they aren't going away - WinMobile 6.0 is under development - Palm is releasing at least 1 more WinMobile device this year.

I just hope that RIM is not a quick to dismiss MS's "feeble" attempt as some on this forum. It's just strike 1 and they are still at bat.....