View Single Post
Old 08-19-2004, 03:19 AM   #1
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers
Default Midlets: You can use Nokia/Motorola Java apps on Blackberry!

Please Login to Remove!

Hi!

[Important: Over-The-Air downloads Requires BES/MDS or when your carrier upgrades to 4.0]
[Note: It is reported T-Mobile users are able to do OTA downloads for apps 70 kilobytes or less, without needing BES/MDS]
[Please post if your carrier appears to let you do any OTA downloads.]

Just so you remember, Blackberry supports J2ME, and MIDP 1.0 which means you can pretty much use any J2ME and MIDP 1.0 software including those originally designed for Nokia, Siemens, Samsung, Sharp, etc. cellphones. Not all of them works, but a surprising number of them actually do:

Being generic cellphone software, they don't advertise as being Blackberry comatible, but many items actually are compatible with Blackberry after all! I was able to test out a few pieces of software for my Blackberry, by following these instructions:

http://j2me-software.com/
http://www.midlet.org/index2.jsp
  1. Use Blackberry's own Browser (WAP or HTML) to go to one of the above sites.
  2. Go to the software section you want. (Example: Games)
  3. Go to the category (Example: Strategy)
  4. Click on the link to the .jad file (Example: Minesweeper)
  5. If no link is found, go to the main menu of the website and click "Select Device". Try "All Devices" first, but if that doesn't work, masquerade your Blackberry as a different model of a cellphone, then try the above steps again.
Now I have Minesweeper and Space Invaders on my Blackberry! Even though it wasn't designed to run on a Blackberry, it was designed in the Java micro edition that Blackberry is compatible with.

Quote:
This is a "Mark Rejhon BlackBerry FAQ" article.
Copyright (C) 2005 by Mark Rejhon, All Rights Reserved. Some portions may be Copyright (C) by respective forum members.
Mark Rejhon grants permission to use this article only for private use. For all other uses, please ask Mark Rejhon at www.marky.com to ask for permission to use this article. If any content of this article also contains content by other forum members, please ask them for permission too as well. This includes commercial use, public use, reposting in full/part anywhere on the Internet, publication in magazine/book or any other media, or any other use than private use. This copyright notice may not be edited or removed in any manner. Mark Rejhon reserves exclusive right to edit, remove, or restore this article, and this article may not be edited, removed, or restored by any other individual or organizations.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source