View Single Post
Old 09-29-2006, 08:52 AM   #11
gdog

Model: 8700g

If Moto can make a device thin with a trackwheel, so can Rim. This is not what made them switch to a trackball. A trackball on a phone as narrow as the 8100 is fine. On a wider qwerty device it will be horrible because your thumb cannot reach over to the trackball as easily as it could on a narrower device. It doesn't have to reach as far with a trackwheel. The ball will be a nightmare on a wider qwerty device. You will need to use both hands way more often. If they try to make the 8800 more narrow to compensate then the keyboard will be smaller and suckier to type on. Bottom line is RIM needs the 8100 for people that need to have a super small slim device with good functionality and they need to have a device no smaller than the 8700 in width because it gets harder to type on. One of the things that makes the BB better than the treo's is it is a bit wider so it's easier to type on. If the 8800 comes in the size of a treo, we all may as well go with the 8100 because it won't be any worse for typing. RIM, don't shut out your market trying to make the 8800 too small, you have an 8100 for that. Right now there is no reason to downgrade from my 8700. Is the 8800 going to have the low volume and soft vibration of the 8100 no thanks. I'd rather not trade my workhorse for some downgrade. Don't take away what makes you existing flagship so good.