Old 11-11-2006, 07:19 PM   #8
SanFrancisco
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
PIN: HEAD
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaB52082
I have a PC and use the sync cables to sync data and so forth. But is there a way to use it as a modem accessing the internet? If you can get back to me that would be great! I am so not savvy with this kind of thing!
Here is a step by step for the Pearl. I rewrote with plain speaking, meaning no assumptions that Members know what I am talking about and I tried to use small paragraphs and point by point:

1. If you do NOT have the latest DeskTop Manager, first go to BlackBerry Upgrade and choose "get software".

Note I am referring to DeskTop Manager, NOT the operating system.

2. Enter your cell number and download the latest Desktop Manager Version on to your computer. Do NOT install yet.

3. Before installing the Desktop Manager software just downloaded, completely delete your old version of Desktop Manager.

4. Reboot, then install the new version of DeskTop Manager you downloaded.

Now for setting up your BlackBerry to work with your notebook on an UNLIMITED Internet connection [through your T-Mobile account]. Speed about 115k!!

On XP - Go to

<Start>

<Control Panel>

<System>

<Hardware>

<Device Manager>

Scroll down to <Ports>

On having installed DeskTop Manager, there should be 2 ports listed that say "RIM".

Simply write down which com ports are listed as being used by "RIM". Most likely (COM4) and (COM5).

Now close all these windows, you just wanted to see what com ports RIM was using.

Now let's set up the "phone number" or settings for your desktop to "dial" through your BlackBerry phone.

Open Desktop Manager and connect your Blackberry with your USB cable.
[If the phone does NOT connect automatically, on the Desktop Manager interface click <options>, then <connection settings>,
then click <detect>. This should find your BlackBerry and connect the phone to the PC].

Now with the phone and PC connected [as indicated by the Desktop Manager saying at the bottom of the window that they are
"connected:"

Go to <Start> Menu

Select <Control Panel>

Select <Network Connections>

Select <File> from the drop down menu

Select <Create a New Connection>

Select <Network Connection Wizard>

Select <Connect to the Internet>

Select <Set Up My Connection Manually>

Select <Connect Using a Dial Up Modem>

Under "Select A Device" select or check the box that is the RIM COM Port you noted from before, usually COM4 or COM5.

NOTE: Uncheck or "deselect" the other modem if that box is also checked [typically it's the dial up modem on your PC].

Click <Next>

In ISP name box name this new connection/setting anything you want, e.g., BlackBerry.

Click <Next>

In the Telephone Number, put <*99#> So you will type in an asterisk, 99, and number symbol.

Click <Next>

Leave the User Name and Password boxes blank. Check the use this account name and password. Check to make this new connection your default connection if you intend for it to be such.

Click <Next>

Select "Add Shortcut to Desktop" so you have the connection easy to access.

Click <Finish>

Go to <Start> Menu

Select <Control Panel>

Click <Phones And Modems>

Click the <Modems> tab.

Select or highlight the COM Port/Modem you set up the BlackBerry with, typically COM4 or COM5. Note: may be listed as "Standard Modem"

Click <Properties>

Click the <Advanced> tab.

In the <Extra Initialization Commands:> box type this exact string:

+cgdcont=1,,"wap.voicestream.com"

Make sure you put the two commas, both quotation marks. Note: there are NO SPACES between the characters.

Click each <OK> to save and back out of the settings menus and get back to your desktop.

You should be able to click on your new Blackberry network connection shortcut on the desktop and connect to the Net.

Last edited by SanFrancisco; 11-13-2006 at 12:26 AM..