View Single Post
Old 08-29-2007, 06:00 PM   #50
wangta01
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhink View Post
Definitely WiFi over GPS for me, but not that I'm dying for WiFi. The main reason being, a GPS receiver in the BB is OK if you are WALKING, but try to use it in a car - what a pain!. The metal roof of a car renders a built-in GPS receiver nearly useless. It has to be line-of-sight to the sky, dudes, meaning you can't see the screen while driving if the BB is laying flat on the dash way out under the leading edge of the windshield. I use a BT GPS receiver because I can put it way out on the dash and keep the BB on my console where I can see the screen. My QStar GPS receiver is the size of a box of matches, and the batt life is around 36 hours of active use. Love it! Works great on the dash or in a shirt pocket. And no worries about looking like an idiot walking around with my BB out flat in my hand so it can get good enough sat signals to actually work.
I'm not sure what program you are using, but my 8800 and Mapquest doesn't need direct line of site to use the GPS functions. I keep my BB inside my dashboard or even in the center console, and it always gets enough GPS signal (10 satellites!) to work very well. Actually, I have used the blackberry in the backseat as a passenger and had it work fine too - and I don't need to have it right next to the window. My bb actually has very good GPS sensitivity - I'm sitting here in my dorm, a good 8 feet from the window and it is picking up my GPS location on google maps.