View Single Post
Old 12-31-2007, 06:17 PM   #1
bunangst
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Scratched Screen Resolution (kind of)

Please Login to Remove!

Sure enough just three weeks after getting my 8830 I noticed a small scratch on the screen. After searching this forum I found Displex was recommended by some. I tried it and after rubbing till I got a callus I was left with a dime size circle where the scratch was. The instruction says on deeper scratches polish until the hardened layer is removed. That is nearly impossible!

I then decided to order a new LCD cover from Cellular Nation. Only 4 dollars and I had a new screen. The operation to open the phone and replace the cover took about 30 minutes. I was very careful with the side rails and it took some time to remove the double-sided tape from the old screen. Everything looked great after it was back together until I noticed a bit of tape glue on the very bottom of the new screen that would not wipe off.

Like a fool I went back to the Displex to help remove the glue. Wrong. It immediately took the hard layer off even with very light rubbing. So I'm back to square one with a rough, uneven finish on my screen.

What I've learned to share with all of you.

1. Displex does not work. You cannot buff out a scratch to a mirror finish. Buy a new part if available

2. Opening an 8830 and swapping parts is really easy as stated in other threads.

3. Cellular Nations parts fit well. (I decided this time to order the full black housing and will be very careful with the double-sided tape this time!)

Thanks for letting me vent!
Offline   Reply With Quote