View Single Post
Old 01-04-2008, 11:22 AM   #13
cwichura
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

There is one issue with moving images from internal memory to a media card that I still haven't found a good solution for:

The Blackberry creates a BBThumbs.dat file in every directory that has images. This file is hidden -- never directly shown by the Blackberry and has the hidden file attribute set when you view the media card from a computer. There is a BBThumbs.dat for the device internal memory pictures store. Like Windows Thumbs.db, this file is never "cleaned up". Every image you've ever accessed will have its thumbnail stored in this file, even after the image has been moved or deleted. So BBThumbs.dat can grow to be rather sizeable over time. When you move all your images from device internal memory to a media card, the BBThumbs.dat still remains in device internal memory and there is no simple way to purge it -- even Roxio Media Manager won't show you that it exists. Yet if you do a backup of your device and then view the backup file with a hex editor utility, you can easily see its existence. On my BB, the BBThumbs.dat in internal memory is taking up close to 2MB of internal device memory and I've no way to purge it, even though I've moved all images out of internal device memory once I got my media card.

Anyone have any suggestions? You can't just wipe the BB and then do a restore, since the content store doesn't let you selectively pick which files within the content store to restore -- it's an all or nothing selection for the content store.