View Single Post
Old 05-22-2008, 02:03 PM   #17
QueBall

Model: 9630
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Telus mobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjjb0204 View Post
Your ip address is a private IP address, meaning it's a fake ip sent by your local dhcp server and you will not be able to have any ip conversations with outside stations.
Telus runs a NAT firewall. Exactly the same concept as you have on a home router that you may pick up from Linksys or Dlink. The router assigns the computers an internal network IP address and translates the network address and port of an outbound connection to a public IP address. The idea is that you can map a large number of internal IP addresses to a small number of public IP addresses to conserve network address space.

For example right now I restarted my phone and got a new IP:
10.89.47.109 which is translated to 72.25.192.4 for external connectivity. This combination is working. When one of the applications that makes a tcpip connection starts failing I will take note the internal network IP address.

The entire point of my post is that Telus is having a periodic network problem. I suspect that one of their NAT firewalls is not working properly and I want to find out if there is a pattern based on the internal network number they assign. If for example I find that it always fails when the IP is in the range of 10.88.121.xxx then I might be able to get it looked at.
Offline   Reply With Quote