View Single Post
Old 06-11-2008, 11:50 AM   #25
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by lraed74 View Post
Open WiFi networks, maybe people dont care. But it also amounts to someone putting a sign out in front of their house that the door is open, feel free to come on in for a visit.
I wholeheartedly disagree. I leave my front door unlocked when I'm home and sitting in my living room. I also leave my garage door open with my belongings inside.
These are NOT open invitations for those who pass by to simply stop and tresspass on my property just because the door is unlocked and/or open.

I also disagree with your statement about people not caring that their WiFi networks are wide open. I'm of the opinion that most home WiFi users are unaware that they're running insecure wireless networks. These are mostly people who pop into a Staples or Best Buy and buy a $40 router off the shelf and start using it in minutes because it's basically a plug-and-play device nowadays. The average user knows nothing if WEP or WPA encryption, MAC address filtering or hiding SSID beacons.

These people would be better off if they are educated... not exploited.

Quote:
but do others honestly not think someone will not use their network if its open for all?
As mentioned above, I'm of the opinion that most users have no idea they're not secured.

Quote:
I live downtown, I have no clue where the open signal is coming from neighbor wise, there are like 4 of them, 3 locked, one open.
So then don't use the open one. What's so hard about that? Use your own wireless network.
Offline   Reply With Quote