squeff
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8830
PIN: Cushion
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ivi124 View Post
Thanks for the info.

Is there anyway I can get out of my current contract by paying less or none of the ETF that you know of other than the death and AMC?

Thanks again.
In general, no.

Why do you want to cancel? Someone about your current service not working? Or are you just looking to cash in on a better deal with someone else?

Some things to try, although no promise that any work will.

(1) Call AT&T and find out what their LOWEST plan is. They may have a very cheap plan that's not publicized. For example, many moons back, I had AT&T service and had a plan with only 20 minutes/month. The per minute charge was high and I didn't have text, data, anything. But it was very cheap (like $15/month or something). Great for emergency calls.

A $10-$15 plan with no minutes may be cheaper than paying the ETF, if you don't have much time left.

(2) Call AT&T and tell them to deal you're being offered by Verizon, Sprint, whoever. Explain that, even with the AT&T ETF, it'll still be cheaper for you. Ask them if they'll match or beat the competitors offer.

(3) Just pay the ETF. If it's that important to you to cancel, then pay the money and move on with life.

(4) If AT&T has failed to deliver, write them a letter, sent via USPS return-receipt, asking them to resolve their deficiency within 30 days or to release you from your contract. This must be a bona fide problem and a "material" one. It must be something that's inconsistent with the state of the technology and industry. For example, an occasional dropped call is NOT sufficient for cancellation because that's standard for the technology. However, the inability to make calls from any location 15 days out of each month is a real problem.

(5) If it's important enough to you, cancel and then refuse to pay the ETF. You risk this ruining your credit and it's borderline criminal, but if you really want to get out...
Offline   Reply With Quote