View Single Post
Old 02-20-2009, 11:27 AM   #1
Jack T. Chance
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Priv
Carrier: T-Mobile
Exclamation Weird Security/Firewall Problem w/ Opera Mini 4.2 on 8900! :-/

Please Login to Remove!

So, here's the deal: I bought my BlackBerry 8900 the first day it was available in T-Mobile retail stores. I was there at the store at 10 AM on Wednesday, February 11th to get one. A day or 2 later, I did the Over The Air download and installation of Opera Mini Version 4.2. For the last week, it has been working BEAUTIFULLY.

All of a sudden, last night, when I tried to go to a website on Opera Mini, I got the following error message:
Quote:
The application operette$2dhifi has attempted to open a connection to a location inside the firewall and outside the firewall which is not allowed by your IT policy.
The only option the error screen gives me is a button marked "OK". There are no other buttons. No "Allow this connection" button, no "Cancel" button, nothing. If I click "OK", not only does it NOT allow the connection, but the error window just KEEPS popping up, and won't go away until I hit the Back/Esc key several times, closing Opera Mini.

Now, I'm a private user on BIS. I don't HAVE an "IT policy", as this is NOT a corporate device.

I tried everything I could think of. I went into the Security settings, to Application Permissions, and set every option for Opera Mini to "Allow". I went into the Module in question and set every option to "Allow". I tried deleting my cookies. I tried doing a hard reboot (power down, pull battery, wait a minute, put battery back in.) Nothing worked until I DISABLED the Firewall. Only then was Opera Mini able to get its connection. What was really odd was that, even with the Firewall disabled, I STILL got 2 prompts asking me if I wanted to allow the connection(s), every time I fired up Opera Mini.

As you can see to the left, I'm using OS version 4.6.1.114, which is what my device shipped with, and is said to be one of the better versions available right now.

Now that I've described the problem, I have a couple questions:
  1. Has anyone else here experienced this same problem with Opera Mini and the Firewall?
  2. What can I do, OTHER THAN SHUTTING DOWN THE FIREWALL, to fix this error/bug/whatever?
Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide. Mods, if you believe that I have posted this topic in the wrong forum, please feel free to move it to the appropriate forum.

Oh, and BTW, I will NOT install beta/debranded/whatever versions of the OS/Handheld Software. After a bad experience installing such a version in the past, I will ONLY install updated software that comes FROM T-MOBILE. Only after the updated OS has passed T-Mobile's certification process will I trust it to run well on my BlackBerry. Just wanted to get that out there in advance, because I'm 99.99% sure one of the first suggestions would have been that I switch to a non-T-Mobile version of the OS.

Don't steal other people's avatars! Make your own! >=(

Last edited by Jack T. Chance; 02-20-2009 at 11:32 AM..
Offline   Reply With Quote