View Single Post
Old 08-30-2004, 02:03 PM   #18
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

Time will tell who is right (you or bb_tech) but it appears the carriers does have the option of selling this feature for older Blackberries too, according to bb_tech who has his own insider connections. Be warned, this may be an error.

It's possible both of you might be right: It might be possible that RIM has the Blackberry modem software installable for all Blackberries internally but only will publicly release it for the 7290, if the carriers request it. Or the information is still so unclear at these levels, that nobody can say for sure until the 7290 comes out and the 4.0 infrastructure is deployed. But one thing that is increasingly becoming certain, BlackberryModem is alive on at least a future model of Blackberry.

I, for one, am hoping I can get BlackberryModem for a 7280, rather than having to upgrade my device so soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb_tech
UPDATE: I just found out that it will be possible to use the BlackBerry as a modem. However, the device needs to be provisioned on the carrier side to allow for such traffic to pass. The carrier may charge a monthly fee for it, not sure though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb_tech
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rejhon
Is this limited to the model 7290 or will this work on older Blackberries?
Any model as far as I know.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source