Old 10-10-2008, 01:17 PM   #1
dstaff
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Z10
PIN: G
Carrier: Bell
Default How-to: Sync your Blackberry and Outlook OTA with Google Calendar

Please Login to Remove!

There seems to have been a number of people asking questions about how to sync their Blackberries to Google Calendars, or Outlook OTA. So I thought I'd share my experience and write this how-to. I hope someone finds it useful. I use this setup to sync 2 Blackberries and 1 Outlook Calendar with 1 Google Calendar.

I first setup a central Google Calendar account that everything sync's to and from.
If you do not have a Gmail account you can set one up for free at http://mail.google.com/mail/signup
Once logged in to your Gmail account, click the xxx8220;Calendarxxx8221; link on the upper left corner of the page to go to your Google Calendar. If this is a new account the calendar should be blank. (This is just to make sure you have a default calendar set.)

N.B. While you can sync from other calendars in your gmail account, you can only sync to your default Google Calendar from your BB. You can not sync to calendars others share with you.

Next on your Blackberry browse to Google's Mobile site and install the Google Sync client for Blackberry. You can find the full instructions for Google Sync here: Google Sync (BlackBerry Devices): Getting started

Once the BB client is installed you can launch it and walk through the setup process. You will need your Gmail address and password.

The BB client will now sync every 2 hours by default, unless you change something directly on your BB, then it pushes it out quicker.

Now on the home Windows PC, install the Google Calendar Sync client for Outlook.
You can find information and the download here at Google Calendar Sync: Overview

Once you have the Google Calendar Sync for Outlook installed and setup you can modify how often you sync your Outlook Calendar to your Google Calendar. I have mine set for once every 60 minutes. That means my Blackberry, my wife's Blackberry, my Google Calendar and my Outlook Calendar should take no more then 2 hours to sync up.

So now if you add an event on to your BB calendar it will get pushed to the Google Calendar. From there the Desktop sync client will see the event the next time it syncs and will add it to the Outlook Calendar. And because you can sync as many BB's as you like to the Google Calendar, you can make a change to any off the BB's, the Google Calendar, or the Outlook Calendar and they will all automatically sync up, eventually .

Quick addendum to FAQ: Only newly-created events on handheld get pushed to Google Calendar. Appointments pre-existing when Google Sync is installed do not get pushed to Google Calendar, even if they're in the future, or modified subsequently updated. I didn't have a chance to check the reverse. (Thanks hellsop)

I hope others find this helpful.

Kudo's to Bifocals on the Blackberry Support Forum for giving me the initial solution.

Last edited by dstaff; 10-17-2008 at 01:03 PM.. Reason: Modified the N.B.
Offline   Reply With Quote