View Single Post
Old 06-02-2009, 06:14 AM   #74
inezpearl
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

i have been working in a mobile software and games distributor so got hands on to test lots of apps for almost all platfroms (not android though) like RIM, iPhone, windows mobile, symbian and java. iPhone apps have clearly taken the lead over others and you can find plenty on which ever category you want. Probably the main reason is that iphone targets entertainment and BB primly targets business segment. Only skype was downloaded 4 million time from itunes but let's see if it can bag more downloads for blackberry client (its beta was to be released in May; any info on its release, anybody?).

I have many friends who are mobile software developers and whenever i talk to them that why there are so many apps for iphone they first things first that its fun and entertainment and you can develop any thing under fun umbrella like iRunLive, iWound, shakelines etc and you can implement these ideas in one week. Reason being BB is all perceived with business stuff you have to make office related apps and have to think in all terms like security etc so it takes time. So its time consuming. This may be one of the reasons why there are less apps in appworld than itunes store.

Another reason of apps not aggressively being developed for blackberry that their platform is not as flexible as others (but few also say developing for BB is easier than iphone). Developing an app for BB is expensive as it takes 200$ to get Test certificate for BB where as it costs around 99$ for iPhone so who developers will choose (but apart from cost factor BB certs are easier to apply)? There are more chances that a solo (not a company) developer would always love to develop for iphone, since downloads are good and its cheap! That's what developers say and probably this can be the prime reason we have seen such a mushroom growth for iphone apps.

But i have always been a fan of blackberry apps. i have tested many many blackberry apps and some iphone as well. To say the truth I keep blackberry app for a longer time than iphone. i would say iphone games rock and blackberry apps win the show, so its a kind of mix for me. Apps which i never deleted are IM+, BB Smart HTML Emaill viewer, WorldMate and recently (not very recently though) i have added Vopium in my list as well. I play games on my iphone whenever i am traveling so no mention of BB games!