View Single Post
Old 05-31-2010, 12:29 PM   #29
jimfraser
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Q10
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeria View Post
I must say I'm enjoying this release quite a bit. Better battery life and much better memory leak handling for sure. The devices hangs less frequently, and has not crashed so far over the last two days of use. Haven't pulled my battery even once for the whole two days, and I still have more than 7MB of memory. That's actually pretty big considering I use 10+ Apps on my phone. I would've had less than a MB left by now if I were using my previous OS, which was 592.
Memory use was my biggest concern when using 592. I upgraded to .681 as a leaked version a couple of weeks ago and was initially impressed by the big improvement in menory usage. However that has deterioriated over time. Now after a battery pull I am down to 18mb. After the initial install I was 24+ megs. Currently at 2.7mb, three days after a battery pull. On the plus side, I am not getting any warnings about lack of memory, which I got from a 4.6 official release about a year ago. This OS along with 592 lets memory get lower than I ever had before. These OSs must handle memory differently than earlier OSs and not hand off memory until absolutely needed.
After being initially elated about better memory use with .681, it would appear that .681 is no better than .592.
Offline   Reply With Quote