Old 02-25-2007, 11:53 AM   #1
jsplit
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
PIN: 2432499F
Carrier: ATT
Default BoxTone DST Expert for BlackBerry (BETA v1.0) FAQ

Please Login to Remove!

Here is a quick review of some frequently asked questions and issues for the BoxTone DST Expert for BlackBerry (BETA version).

I canxxx8217;t seem to get the BoxTone DST Expert to connect to my SQL Server. Any suggestions?

Check the status of the Apache2 service from your Windows Services Control Panel. Make sure that the Apache2 Servicexxx8217;s xxx8220;LOG ON ASxxx8221; permissions. In order to authenticate to a Windows Trusted SQL Server the Apache2 Service MUST be set up to log on as the domain account that you have configured to read from the BESMgmt SQL Server Database.

For example if your domain name is xxx8220;BOXTONExxx8221; and your BES Admin account is named xxx8220;besadminxxx8221;

Open the Apache2 Service properties, navigate to the xxx8220;LOG ONxxx8221; tab, and verify that the radio button for xxx8220;Log on Asxxx8221; is selected for xxx8220;This Accountxxx8221; and NOT xxx8220;Local System Accountxxx8221;. In the xxx8220;This Accountxxx8221; field enter BOXTONE\besadmin, your password and confirmation of your password. Next select xxx8220;Applyxxx8221; and Windows should note that the BOXTONE\besadmin account has been granted xxx8220;Log on as a servicexxx8221; permissions. Next simply restart the Apache2 service and open the DST Expert Tool and log in with the same credentials.

NOTE:

xxx8226; If you still are having difficulties and running MSDE, SQL Server 2005 or named instances of SQL Server please see the next FAQ entry.

I canxxx8217;t seem to get the DST Expert to connect to my MSDE SQL Server, SQL 2005 Server or named instance SQL Server. How can I make it work?

xxx8226; Download this file http://www.boxtone.com/GetDocument.aspx?DocumentId=31 and extract the zip file which will give you a dll named ntwdblib.dll.

xxx8226; Open your services control panel and stop the Apache2 service.

xxx8226; Copy the ntwdblib.dll to your installed drive \BoxTone\Apache2 directory and replace the original file.

xxx8226; Start your Apache2 Service.

Why are there Data Discrepancies on the Total numbers with RIMxxx8217;s DST2007Query.exe and the BoxTone DST Expert?

We have seen the discrepancies and we are working with RIM to determine the issue.

Why does the BoxTone DST Expert show a number of users as xxx8220;Awaiting Patchxxx8221; when I know these users are successfully patched based on the Handheldxxx8217;s display?

After you download the helper if the helper does not successfully apply the patch on the first attempt it has the potential to not properly report back to the BES that the patch has been fully applied thus the BoxTone DST Expert Utility and RIM DSTQuery tool will incorrectly show these items.

The BoxTone DST Expert Guide mentions that this product will not work for SQL Server Authentication, is there a workaround?

Yes.

Navigate to your BoxTone install directory and enter the Apache2 directory ( C:\BoxTone\Apache2 ).
Open and edit your php.ini file.
On line 1168 of the php.ini file you should see:

mssql.secure_connection = On

Change this to:

mssql.secure_connection = Off

Restart the Apache2 Service and you're good to go.

I noticed a potential Security Risk with plain text passwords being stored on disk in the initial release of the BoxTone DST Expert BETA, is there a fix for this?

Yes.

BoxTone is now offering a patch to fix this issue and a number of other minor issues with the DST Expertxxx8217;s functionality. The required patch is version 1.0.1.7 and is named boxtone_dst_expert_upgrade_v1.0.1.7.exe. This patch can be obtained by emailing [email address] or by visiting the BoxTone website.

I noticed some issues with the BoxTone DST Expertxxx8217;s functionality working with my BES for Domino servers. Is there a fix as some data appears missing?

Yes.

BoxTone is now offering a patch to fix this issue and a number of other minor issues with the DST Expertxxx8217;s functionality. The required patch is version 1.0.1.7 and is named boxtone_dst_expert_upgrade_v1.0.1.7.exe. This patch can be obtained by emailing [email address] or by visiting the BoxTone website.

I noticed some issues when I attempt to view the DST Expertxxx8217;s data. I can see the column headings on the server or users view but I do not see any data below. Is there a fix?

Yes.

My SQL Server is running on a different port than the standard port of 1433, how can I get the BoxTone DST Expert to connect?

Letxxx8217;s assume that your SQL Server is configured to run on port 3333 and has a hostname of xxx8220;blackberry01xxx8221;.

From the initial DST Expert login screen. In the hostname field enter the hostname followed by a comma and then the port - hostname,port.
In reference to the example above your configuration line should read: blackberry01,3333.

I canxxx8217;t connect to my SQL Database. I see this error in the Apache Logs:
xxx8220;message: Could not locate entry in sysdatabases for database DATABASENAMExxx8221;

If there a dash(-) in your database name you will need to alter your login configuration to allow PHP to connect to MSSQL.

For example letxxx8217;s use the database name is xxx8220;BESMgmt-NTxxx8221;

Open Windows Explorer and navigate to your C:\BoxTone\Apache2\htdocs\inc\logins\ directory and open the login1.inc configuration file.

Look for the line starting with $msdb.

You should see the following:

$msdb = xxx8220;BESMgmt-NTxxx8221;;

You will need to change this line to the following:

$msdb = xxx8220;[BESMgmt-NT]xxx8221;;

After you have made the change please save and close the login1.inc file and re-launch the BoxTone DST Expert and log in again.
Boxtone
http://www.boxtone.com

Last edited by jsplit; 03-02-2007 at 12:49 PM..