Old 10-24-2012, 07:00 PM   #36
pshute
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
Carrier: Optus
Default Re: Wow - what an article

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody7290 View Post
All the examples you gave render for me in a reasonable time, and, have no defects.
Loading ist about 10seconds, <5 seconds for next page, zomm to a readable level <10 seconds.
For opening the 2mb pdf i had to change the maximum allowed size. If i remeber correct, you can put this up to 10mb.

I did this using the mds browser on os5, bb9700, 3G network. If you have an os6/7 device, and, even if you are connected to a BES, most likely your browser will connect to BIS instead of you own BES unless you have not set it up to use the MDS browser only.

I have not checked what happens if I use the BIS browser, and not checked how a newer blackberry will behave, but, somone else will do this and I post the results.

If the BES servers MDS service instance handles the rendering of the pdf, keep in mind, that the time will depend on the resources of the server, and on how busy it is with other tasks. My personal server runs with 4mb of ram, and 2ghz single CPU, only 5 users. Your results might be differ.
When you zoom into a pdf the server renders a new (png ?) Version of the page, and, sends this to the Handheld. This conserves bandwith, but might take longer if your connection is slow, or, the server is busy.
I thought we were using BES only, I've never understood that stuff well because it was set up for us and never explained. I'd be annoyed if it was like this all these years because of some misconfiguration issue, but it wouldn't surprise me.

What version is your BES on? Perhaps that's the issue.

And what phone company are you with? I was once told that our phone company makes all Blackberry traffic in the country share a 1GB connection (or something like that).
Offline   Reply With Quote