View Single Post
Old 05-29-2008, 01:40 PM   #1
FTwrath
No longer Registered.

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default My Review of 4.5 OS Beta (Video Samples)

Please Login to Remove!

If you run across this Beta do not download it. Yes the features are tempting, but it's best to wait. There are a lot of bugs still and it's not worth voiding your warranty

Beta Version 4.5.0.37
Phone: 8310 Curve

I wrote this a few weeks ago, however, I just joined on here so I though I'd post it.

A few key features I noticed right away (which I knew existed in the update) are the Video Camera feature and Voice Note feature.
Voice Note can be found in your Media Folder and the Video Camera is found on the main display.

Video Camera
Grades (Based on a 1-10 scale)
Ease of Use - 10 (Simply scroll to Video Camera and click on it the next option is to click once more and begin recording)
Options - 8 Hit the options key and you are given the ability to turn the Video Light On/Off/Automatic while recording. Also change color effects (Normal/Black & White/Sepia). And videos can be recorded in 240 x 180 and 176 x 144 (recommended if sending through MMS) sizes.
Thew videos can also be accessed by hitting Options > View Videos
Quality - 9 (One of the most powerful Cameras I have seen on a phone).

The videos record in 3GP format.
Here are three sample videos I have just recorded.
The first two were recorded with house lights on and no light enabled on the phone. The third with lights off and a light enabled on the phone. I hosted them as .3gp so you can view the direct quality of the video rather than a converted version.

[View Quality Of Video]
http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/5/...ID%2000003.3GP

[View Sound Of Video]
http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/5/...ID%2000004.3GP

[View The Flash Light Power In Dark]
http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/5/...ID%2000005.3GP

Internet
My favorite new feature is the Video Camera. A close second, however, is the ability to stream you tube videos.
My favorite site (besides this one :P) is now compatible with my favorite gadget. It's fairly easy to stream. Search A Video > Click To Select The Video > Click "Watch This Video" link and the video will stream to your phone's (not in browser) video player.
Downside: Only in the BB Browser not capable in Opera (So Far)
The scrolling is also a lot easier. Your "mouse arrow" moved with ease. There is no lag to it either. Another downside is the poor streaming quality, videos don't show in full screen either when streaming from Youtube.
To date I have had my internet Browser freeze twice while viewing CB.com. Maybe it's a slight bug that will be fixed in the official release.
The Browser works a lot faster. It is a noticeable difference.

Messaging
The messaging system has also received a few new additions (which I have yet to see the point off).
Some messages are received with a ! next to the message folder by the recipients name. This was back on 4.5.0.18 and it has now been removed in the 4.5.0.37 Beta.
The layout of the conversations is also different and has been tweaked some.

Camera
The Camera has received an added feature "Geotagging."
Geographical tag. When you turn the feature on it tells u that it adds GPS coordinates to the picture u just took.

Other Added Features
This is copied and pasted from another website.
"Some of the new features are handheld-only; some require server upgrades. If you're on BlackBerry Enterprise Server, your IT department will need to upgrade; if you're on BlackBerry Internet Service, you'll need to wait a few months for your carrier to upgrade. I've marked server features with an (S), and handheld features with an (H) to show what you'll be able to do immediately."
• BlackBerry Maps with Points of Interest (H)
• Improved media player with playlist support and automatic playlist generation (H)
• Voice note recording (H)
• Video recording on Curve models (H)
• Streaming support for YouTube and Sling Player (H)
• Microsoft Office document editing with DocumentsToGo (H)
• Native format attachment downloading (S)
• HTML e-mails (S)
• Over-the-air device upgrades (S)
• Free/busy calendar lookup (S)
• Searching the server for old e-mail messages (S)

I personally love the new features. I was a Black Berry addict before and I am now a Black Berry fanatic. Thank you RIM for listening to your consumers. The new features are amazing!

Last edited by FTwrath; 05-29-2008 at 01:55 PM..
Offline   Reply With Quote