View Single Post
Old 01-25-2011, 09:49 AM   #28
Rueburbon

Model: 9650
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Re: Message delays on BES 5.0.2

I'm not sure if this will help, but I have been fighting this issue for 3 weeks and believe that I have finally resolved it.

For the record, I tried all the work arounds. Static agents worked for about 15 minutes then started doing the same thing. Up to 30 minute delays in new emails to blackberry devices.

Little background about our environment. We run BES 5.0.2 on a windows 2003 server virtualized in VSphere. We are currently running a mixed mode Exchange environment with Exchange 2003 on Server 2003 physical boxes, and Exchange 2010 on a Server 2008 VSphere box. SQL is a 2005 Enterprise Virtual system. THe SQL server was P2V'ed, and the others were built from scratch. We have 80 users that have blackberry's. No other devices are allowed so we dont have any Iphones or Droid devices.

Troubleshooting and description. Our issue began 3 weeks ago when we moved a large chunk of our MAC users to the Exchange 2010 environment. Users started complaining of delayed new messages. I went through the typical steps of verifying cell service, sending test message from BES (Which were never delayed) and PIN to PIN messages.

Looking through the logs I got "Send Pipe Full" errors in the Router log. The Controller log showed a few errors that seemed to be related. I decided to open a ticket with RIM. I wont go into the saga of trying to get help with them, just believe that they are proud of their support staff and make you pay for it. 3 hours on the first call and I got nowhere. The Tech said he couldn't see anything wrong based on our log files. After arguing, we agreed that I would get a specific users incident, time and message number and call back. When I called back, it was about 30 minutes and the tech determined that UDP packets between the BES and the Exchange server were being dropped. He referenced this Blackberry KB article KB14139 and explained that I had network issues.

I wont bore you with the next steps, but just tell you that we discovered our VM's running an older version of the Virtual NIC (E1000). We updated our BES and our Exchange 2010 CAS server to use the VMware enhanced NIC and changed TX and RX size to 2048, disabled the Interrupt moderation.

THis seems to have resolved our problem. I dont know why the old NIC's were used to begin with, perhaps it was defaulted to when the system was created.

Hope this helps someone else. OR atleast points you int he right direction.
Offline   Reply With Quote