View Single Post
Old 06-10-2006, 04:34 PM   #1
ashworth
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
Carrier: Rogers
Question What tools help you make the BES experience better for troubleshooting/supporting?

Please Login to Remove!

Here is a list of things I find handy as a BESAdmin.

Make sure the SQL Agent is running, the BlackBerry Enterprise Server, has SQL jobs that run every week for database maintenance. If the server is not started you could run into database issues. The service is called: SQLSERVERAGENT. Be default the service is stopped and set to manual.

I use MSDE and it is always a good idea to have a backup of the database. From DOS type the following to backup the Database:

Osql –E
Backup database besmgmt to disk=”c:\besmgmt.bak”
Go

To restore a database
Osql –E
Restore database besmgmt from disk=”c:\besmgmt.bak”
Go

If you would like to backup the CAL’s from your BES, do the following from DOS from the SQL/MSDE server:

c:\> bcp besmgmt..licensekeys out c:\keys.txt -c -T

To restore the keys

c:\> bcp besmgmt..licensekeys in c:\keys.txt -c -T

This will give you a backup of the keys and save them to the root of the c drive.

To Drop the Keys:
c:\> osql -E
1> delete from licensekeys
2> go

TCPView.exe is a great application to see what port are LISTENING and ESTABLISHED.

TextPad.exe is a great application to view the logs. You can also set it to auto-reload the file when the BES is writing to it.

Something else that I use but it has expired (need to purchase it) is Outlook Spy, with this tool you can see the hidden information the BES injects into the messages.

Able to find the RefID for PIM, Cal, and mail messages is always handy to look in the logs. Open up any item on the handheld, once it is open hold down alt ( ) and type the word view IF you have a 7100 style handheld you will need to type vviieww while holding down alt

Set database to unlimited
If you are using MSDE and you had a 3.6 BES and you upgraded to 4.0 or 4.1. The 3.6 BlackBerry Enterprise Server put a limit on the database of 100 megs. If you look in the application log and you see a bunch of errors about the primary file group full for BESMgmt your database has reached the 100 meg limit. With SQL it is easy to set the size for the mdf and ldf files. But with MSDE it is a bit harder. Use the following from the command line:

Backup Database
c:\> osql -E
1> backup database besmgmt to disk="c:\backup.bak"
2> go
1>exec sp_helpdb besmgmt
2>go
1>ALTER DATABASE BesMgmt MODIFY FILE (NAME = BesMgmt, MAXSIZE = UNLIMITED)
2>go
1> quit

DBClean.exe this is a tool I have been given by RIM support to delete the hidden folder information from users mailbox. I have seen this fix all kind of funky errors for individual users. Sometime when you remove a user from a BES it does not always delete the hidden information in the user’s mailbox if the user has corrupt data in his exchange mailbox. It is a command line tool, and you need to run it on the users workstation with Desktop Manager software installed on it. It is also recommended to make sure you MAPI profile is not using Caches Exchange Made if you use Outlook 2003.

I will most likely be editing this list I have some more stuff somewhere just cant find it or think of it.

4.1 IT Policy list.xls

My BlackBerry GPS Golf Application | Mileage Calculator

Last edited by ashworth; 07-13-2006 at 05:03 PM.. Reason: Added RefID, and Outlook Spy, Added unlimited database size, DBClean.exe