View Single Post
Old 12-19-2006, 02:31 AM   #62
BMWLotAttendant
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: none
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasFlier
At least we now agree on something - that this would effectively enjoin all phone/PDA manufacturers from using the word "Black" in terms of "Black[Anything] for a phone. We may not agree on whether that's right or not, but at least we agree that would be the effective result of a RIM win here. (And I suspect SanFran agrees too, but was unwilling to simply admit that that would be the outcome.)

And the OTHER major risk they face, as SanFran himself pointed out, is what appears to me to be a case that Samsung's attorneys should make sure to cite as potential precedent - where a Judge made it known to Microsoft that if they continued to pursue their case against "Lindows" that they would find themself with a precedent-setting opinion stating that "windows" was a word that was entirely too common and widespread to be due any protection or trademark rights. They'll sure have egg on their face (and a hole in their bank accounts) should they get a Judge who thinks similarly to the one Microsoft faced in that case.

Again - thanks to both of you for answering the simple question I had repeatedly asked and SanFran had repeatedly avoided - at least it gives ground for continued discussion.

Wait a minute. With all due respect, did I not just read your words that you were AGAINST RIM in this law suit case? Let me get your "correct wordage".

Quote:
They (RIM) may be able to, but I totally disagree with them (RIM) being able to do that.
Quote:
To summarize, I have a pretty strong philosophical opinion that RIM should not be allowed to, in essence, trademark the word "Black" with respect to any phones or PDA's. That's what a victory for RIM would amount to here. I simply don't believe that's right and I agree with the previous poster - I hope RIM loses!
You sir, need to get your priorities straight. Now, you yourself do own a phone produced by Blackberry and should support RIM (as SanFran stated), but you stated TWICE, that you were against RIM, and that they should lose. Sounds to me like you are acting similar to our former candidate who ran for the Presidency position.

Next thing to address, the concern regarding Samsung's "hole in their bank accounts". Samsung has deep pockets. Samsung not only produces and markets phones, but tvs, home phones, printers, refridgerators, camcorders, home theatre audio, microwave, laundry products, air conditioning, etc. I think another reason RIM is suing is because Samsung can afford it. Several million dollars is nothing to Samsung.

I can't wait to hear what else other people have to contribute to the discussion.

Last edited by BMWLotAttendant; 12-19-2006 at 02:34 AM..