Thread: RIM vs. Samsung
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2006, 07:59 AM   #69
GMK
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8100
Carrier: TMO

DallasFlier, RIM has has used the name BlackBerry for many years and has built a reputation on it. When they chose the name BlackBerry they also didn't do it in a vacuum and at the time there wasn't an entity in the market that they were even close to infringing on. A fairly unique product, unique name. Sounds like clear sailing to me. They certainly didn't do anything wrong and in my opinion the name BlackBerry is distinctive from all other phones, PDA's, etc.

And now comes Samsung. Clearly, a complete opposite of the above.

I try to pay attention to what I read and if I am guilty of misinterpreting the context, shame on me but I read that your major problem with all this is that if RIM prevails they will lock up the trademark rights (in a smartphone marketplace) to the use of the name "Black" anything. As I stated prior, that is certainly a potential fallout of all this. As I also put it, I believe this was also the situation before the fan got covered with you know what.

In a similar vein, Motorola likely took "Q" out of the marketplace (and that's in the alphabet), and we probably won't see the XYZ corp. razor anytime soon. What's the diff?