Old 12-01-2011, 09:43 PM   #1
The Sand
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9810
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default AT&T 4G Trouble in Los Angeles

Please Login to Remove!

I have been dealing with AT&T over the 4G issue for over a month now. I have received so many credits I am rolling a credit balance into next months phone bill (so at least they back the fact you aren't running a successful smartphone when you pay for unlimited data.) Thankfully, there are 2 users here with BB Torches and we both have trouble with the internet (not text messaging, phone or BBM - just the internet.) I say thankfully because they try to blame the device or RIM - and it's neither - it's the network. It goes down about 40% of the time... it's so frustrating. I called AT&T again today and they know there is "degrading" of towers in our area and they are working on it. I have been told they are "getting ready" for 4G - which means they aren't currently running 4G well in this area. But the BB should roll from 4G to 3G as opposed to selecting 2G (under network connections) but that doesn't happen.... you either run EDGE (by selecting 2G) or you run 4G (which is selecting 3G/H+ & 2G.) When 4G works it's totally stellar, fast and fantastic - if it doesn't you hang, and hang, and hang. That is this "area," as I am sure this problem is area specific.

If you start hanging on the internet, a lot of times the BB has dropped the registration (you can see this from going to Options/Network and Connections/Mobile Network - hit Menu and Diagnostic Test- then hit Menu and Run. It will fail at Blackberry registration. In which case you need to go to Options/Device/Advanced System Settings/Host Routing Table - hit Menu and Register Now... then wait for the email to show... this will get you back on the network but it will still be "sluggish." Sometimes I don't fail Blackberry registration but fail at, "Connected to Blackberry: Abort" and "Blackberry PIN-PIN: Abort" in which case you just have to put the BB down and wait until it comes out of it and can pick up the network again...

I just wanted to pass along that if you are having trouble in Los Angeles with your 4G Torch you are not alone....

Sandy
Offline   Reply With Quote