View Single Post
Old 05-01-2006, 09:29 PM   #8
gonavyblue
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7100r

[QUOTE=jibi]Visto has their own patents. They licensed NTP's patents for their own product so that their product would be compliant with those patents. This is a big concern right now and RIM will likely license the patents from Visto. However, working on RIM's side is the fact that Microsoft was the first company to be sued by Visto and there's a lot of money backing Microsoft on the issue.

With that said, Visto already successfully filed suit and won against Seven Networks for their product. The significance of that lawsuit was the fact that Seven Networks was formerly a firm in Europe who's development team went to Microsoft to build Magneto/DirectPush - see any issue there? During that case, Visto's patents were put through the USPTO process and many of the arguments and points were upheld.

RIM has likely been ready for this lawsuit for quite a bit, to be perfectly honest.

Read this article - might help RIM and other companies with prior art arguments against Visto's patents, which were awarded in 1989, if I'm not mistaken (maybe the early 90's though).

[QUOTE]

RIM has no plans to license anything further from Visto/NTP. Most of the patents in issue with this latest effluent to spew from Wallace were issued in the 2000-2002 time span. The patents in question do even touch RIM technology. It's a calculated PR stunt to drive customers away from RIM.

The only pattern to be seen in this development is that Visto/NTP once again filed suit in chicken shit districts in the US where dopey juries suddenly become inflicted with a severe case of NIH sickness. [NIH- "not invented here" =. i.e any company that is not a US company will be slaughtered by a US jury.]

Ever read a RIM NDA for US entities? "The parties expressly waive the right to a trial by jury." Gee, I wonder why?