Thread: BB vs. WM
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2008, 07:40 AM   #5
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

I don't think WM is bad, I use it as I have a Tilt as well as BB Bold. Although my daughter has been using it the past four weeks. I updated it to 6.1, but not the AT&T version.

I use my phone for work primarily with very little off work use. I send/receive a lot of email, take notes, google maps and keep track of PIM (tasks, etc.). I don't use it much for music/multimedia, pictures or games. Although with the Bold, that's starting to change.

So, my experience with the Tilt: WM definitely required more soft resets than my BB but not to the point where it was a real problem. It crashes, so does my Bold. One handed use and the slide out keyboard aren't nearly as good as the BB. The BB has some real nice shortcuts you miss when you don't have them, autotext and the ability to recognize and dial a phone number with a click from virtually anywhere, smart dialing. It is easier to use as a phone/PIM.

The battery isn't any worse than my Bold, neither are good. MS Voice Command (best voice recognition) and most applications are much better than what is available on the BB; although no task manager that matches todoMatrix on WM.

WM is highly customizable from the OS features to the Today screen - I miss the today screen! Email isn't a problem, although not instant. MS Pocket Office is better than what I've seen for the BB, although I really don't see the point on such a small screen. Garmin Mobile XT on WM is nice in that I don't have to worry about cell coverage, although not a real issue for me, just one less thing to worry about when I'm looking for something or lost.

No problem with ActiveSync. I'd say if you had a need to bring Office docs, pdfs, text or just about any other file with you for viewing and editing, you're probably better off with WM. Otherwise, I'd have to say it would be a toss up between the Bold and iPhone if my typing usage was light. GPS is hit and miss with the Tilt, it seems to take forever to lock onto a signal; sometimes would never lock. Bluetooth wasn't as solid with 6.0 although I didn't try it with 6.1, nor was the phone (more dropped calls).

Recently I had been removed from a client's BES (tightened security and booted all contractors). So, as my contract was up I was pretty much free to get whatever phone I wanted. I opted for the Bold. It took a while, and I actually wiped it and boxed it up twice to return, but for my needs, it really is the right device.

Regards-Michael G.

Last edited by mgerbasio; 12-02-2008 at 07:42 AM..
Offline   Reply With Quote