View Single Post
Old 12-16-2008, 05:07 PM   #1
CurveDependant

Model: 8320T
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Angry Help! Fourth replacement blackberry, same random shut-off problem!

Please Login to Remove!

So it has come to this... I been lurking around these forums for about two weeks looking for a solution, and I don't know what else to try, so I'm hoping this community can help me with my problem.

Essentially, I am experiencing the "random shut off" issue. I have now experienced this across four Curves. The phone shuts itself off and requires a battery pull, and usually a plugging in to a power supply to make it through the reboot. The problem is most likely to occur when on a phone call, or taxing the data service (for example, using Google maps). I have tried the following, with no success:

1. Exchanging in store for another used battery.

2. Installing latest software (4.5.0.81). My original phone was still running 3.5, upgrading did not solve the problem.

3. Replacing phone with T-mobile. Did not solve problem.

4. Buying new battery. Did not solve problem.

5. Replacing phone again (maybe they are sending defective refurbs). Did not solve problem.

6. Replacing sim card. Did not solve problem.

7. Removing memory card. Did not solve problem.

8. Disabling wi-fi and bluetooth. Unacceptable for day to day use, but did not solve problem anyway.

9. Wiping blackberry, reinstalling from scratch using ONLY .csv versions of my address book and calendar to carry over critical data. Did not solve problem.

10. Replacing phone again. (Lighting strikes 3x?). This time, I did NOT connect to my computer, put in memory card, and used only mytmobile to activate e-mail (two e-mail address, both through gmail). With g-chat running and almost instantly as the e-mails registered, phone shut off. Did not solve problem.

11. Turned off data services (also an unacceptable state). Did not solve problem anyway.

PLEASE HELP!!! I'm pretty technically saavy and can work with you (event logs, service books... etc.), but I'm out of new ideas!

Additional observations:

1. The phone appears to experience interference during calls before it shuts off (anywhere from 1-10 minutes into a call) akin to the sound a speaker makes with a blackberry near it.

2. None of he phones have ever shut off while connected to a power source, either USB or a wall. I've gotten through a 45 minute call this way (unconnected record is 12 mins).

T-Mobile Rant:
Despite the number of replacements they have sent, they refuse to send me a new, non-refurb, unit. Their argument is that they can also send me a "like new" phone. This would be fine, since new phones generally work. If the phone doesn't work, it is not "like new". When pressed they agreed to send me a new Curve for $100 and a one year contract. Somehow their failure turned into a sales pitch. I decided to let them keep sending refurbs until they get it right, but now they say that the best the can do is send me a different model... like a "T-mobile dash", instead of another rerfurb curve. Anyone else see the humor in that?
Offline   Reply With Quote