View Single Post
Old 02-01-2007, 11:51 PM   #102
cynical2
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
Carrier: T-moby
Default 8700g extended battery.holster review and skin info

I've had the extended battery for about 2 1/2 weeks now. I can comfortably go a full week between charges now under moderate use. It's primary use is for email (Lotus Notes via BES, constantly syncs both email and calendar wirelessly)...and I mean a lot of email reading and composing. It gets light phone usage, 3-4 hours per week on average. The battery charges to 100% via the travel charger and USB cable, and I couldn't be happier with the performance of the battery. Now that I've gotten used to it, I also agree with some others that have said that it seems easier to hold in your hand with this battery door shape than with the stock battery door.

My biggest complaint would be with the color of the Seidio extended battery door...it's noticeably darker than the rest of my 8700g. The shape (i.e. fit and finish) is pretty good...no significant problemss with that. It's a bit looser fit than the original door, but I'm confident that it's not going anywhere.

I also ordered the holster, just got it a few days ago. Very nicely designed. I spent a few minutes filing down some sharp edges just to keep from scratching the BB. I also have the bestskinsever clear skin on the entire unit, and it makes the fit slightly tighter and the stickiness of the skin causes it to not slide in and out of the holster quite as easily as I'm sure it otherwise would. If anyone is interested, you can order the uncut sheet stock (it's something like 4.6? x 9" IIRC) of skin from bestskinsever, and then cut a piece out of that sheet to cover your new Seidio battery door. I just made a template out of copy paper, and kept whittling on it until I had what I wanted. Of course, notches were required in 6 different areas of the template (extermal speaker, battery door thumb release, and then each of the four diagonals on the corners that connect the raised plateau of the door to the part of the door that's in the same plane as the back of the BB. If you don't cut those last 4 notches for relief, then you'll get a bad wrinkle at each of those 4 diagonals.

A little more on the holster...as I said, I think it's well made. But, I wish someone would design a holster that made it where the clip was higher than the entire holster, and didn't have a 1/2" long lever (the one you squeeze to open the clip) sticking out above the case. It would be a holster like Seidio's with a fixed clip like the Fortte has, with the clip being mounted very high on the holster. That way, nothing would be above the belt line to poke me in the side when I sit down...that irritates the crap out of me, especially when I'm wearing an untucked shirt and anything above the belt line hits my bare skin when I sit down. Like most people, I could stand to shed a few (literally, maybe 10) pounds, but I'm far from obese. I can't be the only one that loves the functionality of the plastic holster, but finds the uncomfortable while sitting, can I? Anyone? Anyone?