View Single Post
Old 05-05-2013, 02:32 AM   #10
david_uk
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: Vodafone
Default Re: Initial Impressions - first 12 hours

Context: I was devoted to BB until 2010 when high hosted BES/carrier fees "forced" me to become an iSheep. Never comfortable with that overhyped platform, I've recently been using WP8 (good) but wanted to find a way back to BB and a physical keypad.

Reading that BB10 supports ActiveSync, I went to play with a Q10 in Selfridges London where reports suggested they'd been flying off the shelves. There was certainly a big and popular display. The guy who demo'd was keen to show off Q10's camera and social networking features but if he'd listened he'd have caught that I'm a business guy over 18 who emails, tweets and reads Bloomberg and could he tell me how to set up my Exchange account and was there an app for The Economist? Unfortunately he couldn't get past Settings.

Now I'm not judging what looks to be a promising handset by a sales pitch, but I came away wondering if BB's natural simplicity hadn't been subsumed by the smartphone features arms race.

Combining a physical keypad with touch screen functions just doesn't seem natural, or perhaps millions of us now take touch for granted. Either way, I'll be following this thread some more before jumping back in.
Offline   Reply With Quote