dbltap
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpw4v View Post
Wirelessly posted
All carriers have patchy 3g coverage. ... The issue does seem to be 2 3 g switching which is improved on .162 but not perfect.
This is my experience as well. The big bug I found last week was with .162 using manually selected networks. When ever the signal would fade to the point of loosing the network... and the Bold tried to find another... The thing would freeze up and fail. Once I had better signal, it switched fairly easily with no lock up. I've seen problems in a number of countries so far with 3G. If I move back to EDGE, the system works great.

Quote:
The question for Orange is what are they going to about us early adopters?
And what should they do? This really appears to be more of a RIM learning curve issue with GSM 3G code than a carrier issue. I remember we went through dozens of versions of radio code on the HTC TyTn a year or so ago before they finally got a version that worked well all over the world. Samsung had terrible radio code in the initial BlackJack. Why would RIM be able to get it right the first time all over the world? They told AT&T up front they had no GSM 3G experience.

I expect we will see a number of updates to the 3G code before RIM gets a version that works well all over the world with all the different carriers. As I said, it's WORLDS better today with .162 & from what I hear with .167. I think they ARE getting closer. But I don't see this as a carrier issue nearly as much as I do a RIM development issue.

I'm not bad mouthing RIM from this. This many versions of 3G around the world is daunting. I do like the improvements I have seen and feel good about them getting these problems ironed out. But the support nightmares that would be involved with a mass rollout of where the code was even a month ago would be daunting. Look at all the furiour from the Apple 3G launch.

AT&T has been burned by Samsung and now Apple with 3G issues. I can't blame them for wanting RIM to get a lot better performance before releasing it in mass. I would only imagine Orange is seeing similar support issues and thus the step to hold off for a few weeks until new code is available.

Just my dos centavos on the topic.
Offline   Reply With Quote