Old 03-12-2012, 08:57 AM   #1
OmahaAdam

Model: Curve
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default SQL DB Migration

Please Login to Remove!

Hello All,

I am rather new to my organization where I replaced the previous BES admin so please forgive my n00bishness...

Backstory: BES 5.0.3, configured with some HA available on 2 servers(1vm 1physical). DB's are stored on seperate dedicated SQL cluster. My SQL cluster hardware is up for lease replacement this Qtr and I have 1 week to move my BES DBs to the new hardware. I have 3 db's on the cluser: besmgt, mdsis, bmsstore. The DB team wants to use DNS aliases in the future for all DB's so I will need to repoint from server\DB to alias\DB and then in future changes the alias will change in DNS and everything should be happy.

I have looked at a lot of documentation and nobody has really put a procedure or a post about doing this before.

I haven't really found a procedure for changing the bmsstore db or the mdsis db. Do I just re-install the app and tell the installation about my new alias\db name? This is all I have found for the mdsis db online but there has to be a better way.

Or do I go into the registry for the bmsstore db and change the server\db entries to alias\db?

How about the besmgt DB? Can I just change the registry settings or do I need to go through the install and point to alias\besmgt?

Keep in mind that I am creating the alias to point to my current DB server and then the night of the SQL cut-over I will stop all BB services and change my alias to point to new server where a backup and restored DB will be waiting.

Does this make sense at all and do you think it could work?

Thanks for your time!!
Adam
Offline   Reply With Quote